Help needed!

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I need some pictures or diagrams of the shift linkages for a 71 Valiant with column shift small block trans. :happy1:

We put ours together and it's cocked... I have some other parts that I can try from a similar car, now I need to know how the a-bar connects from the frame to the bracket on the trans. Does the bracket on the trans go on top or bottom of the ear for it? :???:

Pictures of any set-up would be appreciated whether it has a 904 or 727 trans. I want to see if there is a difference there also... #-o

Thanks guys & gals... :prayer:

............Was urs a slant car........if so its a major pain to get it right....u cant use any of the slant linkage except for the for maybe the down rod from the shifter.............I went thru this many years ago and had to mix and match parts so that every gear and park worked, sorry, no pics............kim........

Don't know if this helps. Labeled '72. Seems to indicate top.

Attachments

• 72ColShift.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 301
  • th.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 293
This should be just what he needs Dave :color:

............Was urs a slant car........if so its a major pain to get it right....u cant use any of the slant linkage except for the for maybe the down rod from the shifter.............I went thru this many years ago and had to mix and match parts so that every gear and park worked, sorry, no pics............kim........

I don't know man
maybe I got lucky or maybe your car was fiddled with before, but when I went from a /6-904 to a 360-727 and everything bolted right up
BUT it did need a little adjustment

(using the picture Dave supplied)
I used lever 21-142-18 that was on the 727
everything else I used that was already in the car (71 duster)

the only adjustment it needed was that rod 19-48-1 needed to be slipped up into swivel 19-48-16 (in essence, shortening the rod)

I shifted the linkage into low (1st gear) and shifted the transmission also in low (1st) gear, and then connected everything

this might help a lil bit header was in the way so couldnt get a better pic

Attachments

• IMG_20151209_085632647.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20151209_090004238.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_20151209_090034900.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 248

Sorry Kim, I forgot to give that info. :banghead:

It originally was a 318/904 car.

We are going 360/727...

No slant has ever been in in or touched this car.... (Not that there's anything wrong with a slant...) #-o

You probably see it now, but the bracket for the linkage goes on top of the ear on the trans with the bolt pointing down.

Some also had a stand off that the pivot stud for the linkage screws into like the pics above, but I don't remember which ones had which.
Just that there were both.

Thanks for all the replies and especially the pictures. Keep them coming...

You probably see it now, but the bracket for the linkage goes on top of the ear on the trans with the bolt pointing down.

Some had a stand off that the pivot stud for the linkage screws into like the pics above.

That's the way that we have it now, but it's tilted and also not freely moving, there's resistance...

I used a bracket that came with the trans, no idea what origin...

Then we misplaced the original linkages, and found a couple... Since then we got a set of the early and late style and are trying to see what will work. Mix and match if necessary...

I'll take some pictures and post them....

Since I do this to others that don't post pictures with their post, it's only fair that I get myself for not doing the same....

:worthles:

Thanks.

How is the z-bar attached to the trans side on yours?

the z bar on mine isnt attached to the trans,the only thing it is attached to is the frame. when all the linkage arms are attached it helps support it. hope this is helpful to you

Attachments

• IMG_20151209_124016562.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20151209_123752223_HDR.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20151209_124219747.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 224
..a 904 is about an inch narrower than a 727 so the torque shaft is an inch wider.Sometimes you can force one in but it won't be right.
..Get a shorter 727 torque shaft or shorten the 904 unit an inch.The trans. mount is different as well.Sometimes mounting underneath the 727 trans boss will line things up or get the correct 727 unit.I think some vans used the same piece.
the 4 barrel carb rod is different as well..Finding the correct pieces for a column shifted 727 A body is difficult...most were consul.

here's a stock 904 and a short one i made to use with the wider 727
if you shorten a 904 torque shaft take an inch out between the operating
arms

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 218
...............Karl, if my memory serves me right the piece bolted to the trans ear[which is for a 727] I had to change from the slant I believe as its slightly taller and has a bend in it to move it forewards,... as u can see urs is down and back.......now for on the frame rail I'm not sure what bracket I used there...could u post a pic of what u used.......I know it was such a piss off that I just about changed it to consol shift...kim.........

...............Karl, if my memory serves me right the piece bolted to the trans ear[which is for a 727] I had to change from the slant I believe as its slightly taller and has a bend in it to move it forewards,... as u can see urs is down and back.......now for on the frame rail I'm not sure what bracket I used there...could u post a pic of what u used.......I know it was such a piss off that I just about changed it to consol shift...kim.........

I've got two different set-ups and am going to see if any of them can work.

We're going out to play with it for a while. I post back what we find and try to get some pics.

Lol, Can one think out loud when typing?
Not an automatic guy but, from the pictures, to me, it appears as the trans bracket is too high and rearward. Look at it from the other end. Assuming the shaft should run straight across, maybe you could attach a length of threaded rod to the frame bracket and determine where the frame bracket "wants" the trans bracket to be. What would need to happen to get it there? Maybe look at the driveline location and something will make sense.

Lol, Can one think out loud when typing?
Not an automatic guy but, from the pictures, to me, it appears as the trans bracket is too high and rearward. Look at it from the other end. Assuming the shaft should run straight across, maybe you could attach a length of threaded rod to the frame bracket and determine where the frame bracket "wants" the trans bracket to be. What would need to happen to get it there? Maybe look at the driveline location and something will make sense.

I didn't get a chance to look at it from underneath last night. I'll try to take a closer look next time we get under it. I also want to put a 904 and 727 side to side and look for any differences in the attachment points from one to the other...

I'll keep you all posted...

Don't know if this helps. Labeled '72. Seems to indicate top.

Thanks so much for those illustrations. I was using them last night to get the linkage mocked up outside the car. We took it apart to clean and paint, now I have a set together outside the car that I can compare the parts on the car already to and look for differences.

I also ordered new bushings for the z-bar from Mancini and am waiting for them to come in. Hopefully in the next couple days....

That way if I get it figured out, I can get it all together for once and for all...

A-Body 727 uses a different trans mounting bracket than a 904 that is why the angle of your crossshaft is not aligned. The 904 crossshaft is not only wider than a 727 but the lever placement is clocked and angled different as well. The A-Body col auto frame bracket for 67-76 and column rod (respective years 67-70 or 71-73 or 74-76) are the same from 904 or 727 which includes the 6cyl as well. The difference other than the cross shaft and trans bracket for a 67-76 A-Body 727 is the trans rod which is also different from 904 to 727. These particular parts have different Chrysler part numbers as well. One other important piece of the set that is commonly overlooked is the trans valve body lever, it also must correspond with the year or model you are working on or using parts from to function correctly. Not all 727 transmissions have the same lever.

You guys are right. We verified that our parts were installed c orrectly, then looked at a 904 & 727 side by side and the mounting ear for the Z-bar bracket is higher on the 727 than on the 904 by about the amount that we are off.

Now I need to get a set-up for a 727...

I think that I can get the kickdown to work... I just need the 727 column shift parts...

-
Back