(HELP !)Oil filter adapter removal

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
I am tearing down my 360 so I can send it to be hot tanked. Is there a trick to removing the adapter that holds the oil filter in place?

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 910
Try using a 3/8" drive extension. No socket, just the extension. Stick the extension in the center of the hollow bolt and you will feel it snap into place about 1/2" inside. That's what removed the bolt on my '74 Charger and every other small block I've taken apart since then.

Try using a 3/8" drive extension. No socket, just the extension. Stick the extension in the center of the hollow bolt and you will feel it snap into place about 1/2" inside. That's what removed the bolt on my '74 Charger and every other small block I've taken apart since then.
x2 beat me to it lol better use a decent extension not an asian one it might twist off....

3/8 ext is to large. 6 point socket even rounded the nut corners. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly....lol

Mine came off and went back on with a 3/8 extension... There was NO nut on it. IF it were a 90 degree adapter it would be held in by a bolt.

Some have a 1" nut on the out side. Some have a 3/8 square drive in the middle. As said before use a 6 point socket these things round over pretty easy.

Well it did round off, even with a 6 point socket. I do not have a welder to weld a nut to it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

vise grips and a cheater (my little floor jack handle works great on vice grips). you may have to get a new one after that.

Take a flashlight and look in the center. Does it look square? If so maybe file or grind on a 3/8 extension to make it fit.

I just went and looked at my block and mine doesn't have the nut but an extension pops right in there.

The ext. will not fit. Vice grips will not grab and hold the nut. Almost time to break out the jack hammer...lol

The ext. will not fit. Vice grips will not grab and hold the nut. Almost time to break out the jack hammer...lol

I understand the ext. won't fit. What I was getting at is maybe they are different. Mine does have the square hole for the extension, yours "might" not.

Mine does not have the nut like yours so I was wondering if there are two different types.

My block is a 77.

The block is a 1972. Here is the latest picture of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 470
hmmm, thats looking ugly now LOL maybe you could get a chisel inbetween the nut and the base and flare up the corners and get the vise gripes back on it. either way i think you will be replacing it any way.

hmmm, thats looking ugly now LOL maybe you could get a chisel inbetween the nut and the base and flare up the corners and get the vise gripes back on it. either way i think you will be replacing it any way.
Good idea....I`m going to try that.

That looks completely different than mine, it doesn't look like there is a place for an extension. Maybe that's why the design may have been changed.

Do you by chance have an easy out big enough to go in the center and try and turn the whole tube out? That is "if" that tube comes out. I would think it might in case someone wanted to install a 90* adapter.

There are 2 styles, when they require a socket they are round in the middle, when they are round on the outside they take a 3/8 extension in the middle. There may be differences to this but every one Ive come across was like this. With the one you got you have to be very careful as stated. You need to get the socket lined up correctly and push into it as you break it loose. You should be able to go buy 2 nuts now and run them down on the threads and use one as a jam nut and get it off.

Finally got it out. Figuring I would have to replace it anyways. I grabbed the threads with a vice grip and twisted it right out. I will be replacing it with a 90 degree adapter. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

-
Back