Help on drive shaft length

-

Ryan ekes

Reaction score
So I'm needing a drive shaft for a 67 barracuda and what the length is for it I have a 8 3/4 rear end with a 489 case large yoke and a 727 small block transmission. Also need to Know if I find a stock one in good condition what kind of horse power and torque can it safely handle. If anyone has a similar set up let me know what you went with. Its going to be behind a 340 punched out 30 over with a 4 inch stroker kit hydraulic roller cam kit with Edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads with roller rockers a Edelbrock performer rpm airgap intake and a 750 Holley double pumper carb. If you have any useful advice it's much appreciated if you have a negative opinion please keep it to yourself thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered my Dana 60 from Cass at Dr. Diff (good guy alert, he worked with me on the phone to figure out exactly what I need, spent about an hour doing it with Web page/shopping cart difficulties) and will be swapping the Diff, brakes, brake lines and my new 727, torque converter, kickdown, ministarter and dip stick.

Once the trans and Diff are in, I will measure for drive shaft length. I have read the thread where people have posted their drive shaft lengths for trans and diff. I have noticed that drive shaft length has varied by as much as half an inch in identical setups on same year fastbacks.

A brand new 3" diameter drive shaft is in the neighborhood of $450-$550 from what I remember. I will be ordering that from Cass as well because he has good customer service.

Just purchased a 3.5" aluminum shaft out of Action Machine in South Bend In. 370 shipped with 1350 solid joints. I supplied my slip yoke and used their measurement guide. Spoke with the machinist before he made it to verify measurements. Had the shaft a day after order but I only live 60 miles or so away and shipping was cheap.

-
Back