help on head gasket change

-

75gold.uster

Reaction score
i need someone to help me out with installing a new head gasket i have taken everything apart and organized all differnt bolts in labelled baggies . i had a gasket when i put it in place me and my dad gently put the head back on top, but my problem is the push rods wouldnt slide back into place, so we took the head back off then put the rods back into the little pockets, we lowered the head slowly trying to line up the rods with the holes but it was much too hard. does anyone have suggestions on what to do? or if im doing something wrong any question or comment would help i dont know too much about cars im 16 years old and learning thanks!

What kind of engine are you working on?? You probably have to remove the rocker arms and shafts in order to install the head 1st, then install the push rods, then shafts and rocker arms. Pics would also help as well.

I'm guessing it is a slant 6 since he posted the question there. And I agree you need to remove the rocker arm/shafts.

well it sounds like you have a peanut head, or the 5/8" spark plug non drool tube head... you will be better off installing the head and then dropping in the push rods, as said you need to remove the rocker shaft assembly (re instal @ 30ft lbs)

+1 and keep track of the position of each push rod. Cylinder position and also top & bottom. Not sure on the torque spec. on the Rocker shaft

well it sounds like you have a peanut head, or the 5/8" spark plug non drool tube head... you will be better off installing the head and then dropping in the push rods, as said you need to remove the rocker shaft assembly (re instal @ 30ft lbs)

30 foot pounds thanks!

im working on a 225 slant six. are there certaint specs to tighting theshaft and rocker arms?

got it its a slant... as i posted its 30 ft lbs... but is it a drool tube head (tubes around the spark plugs like a hemi, or peanut head, just surrounded by cast iron cyl head??)

either way you need to install the head first and then the pushrods...

Tighten the shaft down in increments(15, then 20 then 30). Also start from center and work your way to the ends.

Tighten the shaft down in increments(15, then 20 then 30). Also start from center and work your way to the ends.

good point... i do 1/2 turn on each one, middle one, right then left, then one more to the right and left, and so on...

-
Back