HELP...PIC OR NUMBER NEEDED FOR A POWER STEERING HOSE 1971 340 DEMON WITH NO AC AND FEDERAL PUMP

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

The pics are all over the place when I look the application up (Rock auto, Classic industries etc.). The crappy hose that came with the car (in a box)looks like a '73 model With Chrysler pump so I am not sure what to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks FABO

I thought they had stopped using Federal pumps by then. I would look at previous years of "A" bodies with Federal pump and order that one. Got to be the same or similar.

Not sure if this helps? I think it's a federal pump?

20240224_124226.jpg

20240224_124348.jpg

20240224_124321.jpg

Thanks again for the pics. The bad hose that was in the "box" when I got the car, is the same as yours......But the parts stores tell a different story. Now I know the one I have is correct :thumbsup:

Yeah man, no problem. I remember having troubles finding the same hose in the past. It was something like where the fittings were a different thread. Good luck!

Yeah, paint is the original. It cleaned up pretty good, but I like the patina as well. it has something like 30k miles on it. I'll double check the tire size tomorrow. I believe they are 235/60-14. I'll confirm that tomorrow. But there is no rubbing at all

Let me tell you what I did. I have a 69 Barracuda with a 340 and PS. About 28 years ago, I was done with the first restoration (I've had the car for going on 35 years) and ready to drive it. Unfortunately, I could not find a PS high pressure hose anywhere. I tried Advance Auto, NAPA and several other sources, and this was before internet. I kept getting hoses that had the right fittings on each end, but there was no way it was going to fit. I went to a place that makes AC and PS hoses and they made one for me. All I needed was to show them the right fittings (I bought one from Advance Auto just to show them the fittings that would work and then returned it), how long the hose had to be and how the fittings needed to be clocked on each end of the hose. The cost was reasonable, and it works fine. It would not get past a major judging, but I don't care about that.

Thanks for the confirmation.....I wouldn't change a thing.

How long have you owned it?
Tires are 225/70-14 and no rubbing.

I bought it in 2012 not running. Did a few things here and there, but went ape **** on it during covid shut down 2019. Told the wife I'm taking advantage of the time off.

20200326_124308.jpg

Let me tell you what I did. I have a 69 Barracuda with a 340 and PS. About 28 years ago, I was done with the first restoration (I've had the car for going on 35 years) and ready to drive it. Unfortunately, I could not find a PS high pressure hose anywhere. I tried Advance Auto, NAPA and several other sources, and this was before internet. I kept getting hoses that had the right fittings on each end, but there was no way it was going to fit. I went to a place that makes AC and PS hoses and they made one for me. All I needed was to show them the right fittings (I bought one from Advance Auto just to show them the fittings that would work and then returned it), how long the hose had to be and how the fittings needed to be clocked on each end of the hose. The cost was reasonable, and it works fine. It would not get past a major judging, but I don't care about that.
That's a great idea! Definitely thinking outside of the box there. The hydraulic hose guys around here do great work.

AC vs. non AC should not make a difference at all - the brackets are the same and they therefore put the pump in exactly the same place.

-
Back