help picking a shift kit...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey y'all, I'm thinking of putting a shift kit in the 904 that's in my 72 Duster. The trans is out of a 88 5th Ave and has a stock rebuild in it as well as stock torque converter. I don't want anything radical I just wanna tighten up the shifts a little. This is a mild small block street car but these lazy shifts is ridiculous. Where's the hot deal on a kit?

TF1 or TF2 from trans go. Check out bulkpart.com. When you get the kit it has options for how firm you want the shifts. I would recommend you leave out the check ball for the 1-2 shift and don't drill the plate. See how you like the shifts and if its too firm then you can go back reinstall the ball and drill the plate. If you go backwards on those steps you will have to find a new plate. I ended up with two valve bodies. One drilled to .125 on both 1-2 and 2-3 shifts for smoother shifts If I want to tone it down.

I don't even consider any kit other than a Trans-go. Their the only kit I have found consistent. Before I knew about Trans-go I installed B&M, Turbo Action, and Mopar perf. kits (pretty much all the same kits) and sometimes they worked ok and other times they had major overlap issues. If you just want to firm it up the TF-1 will do you fine. The TF-2 is a little more aggressive but like Johnny said it depends on how much you drill out the transfer plate. Trans-go's are not the cheapest kit but they are by far the best. They don't just make it shift firmer, they correct issues inherent to the torqueflites.

Cool beans. Am I safe in assuming that you will retain the automatic feature with the TF-2?

TF-2 for sure. I just bought one and getting ready to install. One thing they say it will do 904/727 but it only comes with a 727 pan gasket. I called Transgo and asked them WHY, and got a silly answer. I also called Summit and told them about it and they weren't even aware of it.

I used to like the Trans Go, but in recent years I've read several instances where the TF2 in particular actually causes binding. Call Pat at SMR transmission. He is really sharp. He can splain it better than I.

-
Back