Help picking headers! any info is appreciated

-

Brian c

Reaction score
I want to order my headers this week and not sure what to go with. They are going on a 408 stroker in a 73 dart sport, manual steering with a 4 speed. Im going to go with tti for sure i just dont know what set. Does anyone have any info? I was thinking the 1 7/8 race headers but i dont know much about them. Thanks!

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Category-Headers/Subcategory/ccSmallBlock.htm

It really depends on how much power youre really making.

TTI does have it listed in the description of the headers.....15/8" 320-575 hp, 1 7/8" for 550+......seems like a no brainer at 500 hp....if that is truly what you have....

Watch out to make sure that they don't hang too low. I used to run Hooker Super Comp on the street, and they hung too low. I eventually crushed the pipe that hung below the k-frame and blocked about 75% of the pipe and eventually broke through. Went to stock manifolds after that.

Watch out for headers that hang below the k-frame for street applications. Eventually they will get beat up.

Watch out to make sure that they don't hang too low. I used to run Hooker Super Comp on the street, and they hung too low. I eventually crushed the pipe that hung below the k-frame and blocked about 75% of the pipe and eventually broke through. Went to stock manifolds after that.

Watch out for headers that hang below the k-frame for street applications. Eventually they will get beat up.

And this is the best argument for HP manifolds. I know they don't flow as well as long tube headers, but I wanted to maintain good clearance with a low car.

And this is the best argument for HP manifolds. I know they don't flow as well as long tube headers, but I wanted to maintain good clearance with a low car.

Those are my exhaust of preference for the street. :cheers:

None of the tti sb headers hang low

Run the 1 5/8-1 3/4 step headers would be my suggestion

TTI does have it listed in the description of the headers.....15/8" 320-575 hp, 1 7/8" for 550+......seems like a no brainer at 500 hp....if that is truly what you have....

ya i seen that on the their website. I was just looking for input and reviews. I may put a bottle on it in the future so just looking for a happy medium. Appreciate you pointing out the obvious for me though.

i have super comps. I got 2" and they hit the hit the steering components. They are fine just go 1 7/8 or so for clearance.

Run the TTi step header. Great header. Good clearance and performance. Downside: they are expensive. The stock high performance manifolds (68-71) flow well for a stock exhaust manifold but are expensive. You will pay 350-600 for a good set of stock high performance manifolds.

please explain .... HP manifolds? how would someone find these?

I was referring to the Mopar Factory 340 high performance exhaust manifolds. They have a better flow ability than other LA manifolds, and they have a larger outlet (2 1/4", as opposed to 1 7/8") I think they were only found on cars fro 1968 to 1970 (?)

If you find a set of them, make sure you confirm the part numbers from this thread by crackedback: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=204139

If you're going to run TTI'S, run Doug's. Same design, hugs tight to the block, they don't hang low or have the drag link running through them, and they're actually affordable unlike TTI's. Just my opinion.

If you're going to run TTI'S, run Doug's. Same design, hugs tight to the block, they don't hang low or have the drag link running through them, and they're actually affordable unlike TTI's. Just my opinion.

Don't you have to use a smaller starter with the TTI's?

Don't you have to use a smaller starter with the TTI's?

I have Doug's on the 340 in my 70 Dart and I run the smaller starter, but I ran the smaller starter when I had Hooker's as well after having issues with the stock starter getting too hot. You don't need to spend the money buying a 'mini starter' either. Just ask for a starter for a '91 - '95 Dodge Dakota, 318 or 360. They came stock with them and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the 'mini starter'.

Headman Hustlers on my 410 small block, 1.75" primary to 3" collector. Absolutely no ground clearance issues.

There is no way I would put a factory exhaust manifold on ANY performance build, especially a stroker (unless required by rule)...that would be like breathing in through your mouth, and exhaling through a McDonald's straw.

Headman Hustlers on my 410 small block, 1.75" primary to 3" collector. Absolutely no ground clearance issues.

There is no way I would put a factory exhaust manifold on ANY performance build, especially a stroker (unless required by rule)...that would be like breathing in through your mouth, and exhaling through a McDonald's straw.

lol. thanks again everyone.

-
Back