Help, Police!!! ?????

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey All. I am needing to run a VIN in the state of TN. Is there a cop here that can help. I called the local but I was told that they have to come to my location to see the car and to run the number. The problem is the car is in upper KY. I bought the car in Alabama with no title. Now I can not contact the seller to get last registration. I am hoping that I don't have a "HOT CAR" in my garage. So, if some one knows how I can have the VIN checked it would be a great help. Oh just to let you know, if the car was reported "lost" at one time I will turn it in. Thanks.

Might be a little extreme, but I guarantee that your VIN will be run for you in KY (or anywhere else for that matter) if you do a fire burnout in front of the local cop shop. Don't ask how I know this.....:burnout::burnout:

Hey grumpus, i thought of that but since the car is in peices and all over the garage i can't get it on the road.

Thanks guys. I have located the owner of the Swinger. I called him last night but he works 3rds. So I will call later today and see about getting the title. It would be great to have it in my hands before New Years. Thanks to all you folks.

Just for a future heads-up. Its harder than it used to be for an officer to run a vin number, because once you run the number and it comes back stolen or whatever, then the state wants to know where the car is.

Well, I knew that was a possibility. I would have given the info if needed, but since the car is not listed as stolen, all is good.

If you go to MVD & tell them you're planning on buying the car & bringing it into TN, they SHOULD run the vin for you. Make sure you get the MVD's employees name so you can verify it was run in case there's a problem.

Thanks Hemicop. but the TN DMV told me I had to get a cop to look at the number and since i live in KY and the car dont run that would have been hard. Reason for the TN search is that the car was last titled in TN.

You can have KY. run the VIN through NCIC. Then have the officer contact TN. MVD via teletype confirming the inspection OR go to Tn. MVD with the KY. officer's name & serial number & tell them he ran the VIN for you on "XXXX" date. Tn. mvd records will show the inquiry on that date by Ky. and that SHOULD satisfy everyone involved. Good Luck!

thanks Hemicop. i have contacted the owner of the title and called him a few days ago. I explaned what is going on. He told me he would go to the clerks office on Saturday and request a lost title. When he receives that title, I will drive down there, have him sign all the paperwork (app of title, bill of sale and title). I will compensate him for time and cost of new title. Then I can get the sherreff to come to my house check the vehicle AGAIN, then go to the clerks office here and apply for the new ky title. sounds like alot but not really, just will take time to get everything. I want to say thanks to all you that have helped with this. I was not sure what I was going to do.

HemiPar, call your Co. Clerks Office and check up on the requirements to transfer an out of state vehicle that is not driveable. I'm thinking your's isn't driveable. I beleive the laws have changed in the last couple of years. The Sheriff's Office in Barren Co. refused to inspect a non driveable vehicle for a friend of mine a while back. The S.O. stated there was some new law and vehicles had to be running to transfer a title. It may not be possible to get a "title only" transfer anymore in Ky.
I don't have a copy of the KRS Manual pertaining to the KY DOT laws.
Bob

Thanks bob for the info. not sure bout any law changes. the sheriff has been to the house a few months ago to do the inspection. That inspection i mailed to the seller of the car to get him to sign. Seller called and said he had it and i never heard from him again. That is why I needed to run the VIN to insure the car was not stolen. I have tracked down the guy that the car was last titled to in TN. He will go to the county clerk office and make sure it is still in his name and he will request a lost title. then i will take a Sunday drive to his house get him to sign all the paperwork i need and pay him for the cost of the LOST title.

So that way even if KY law changes I will still have all the signed paperwork to get it titled when the car is running.
And thanks for looking out for me Bob.

Just an update for you guys. Well I contacted J.W, who is the last person in the state of TN the car was titled to. I called him and he remembered haveing the car but said that he never titled it. I told him about the info some of you have given me, about the car titled to him and even the last plate that was on the car. He said that he would go to the court house and find out. Well after a few weeks of not hearing from him I called and he was not home. But his mother told me that "he said that he does't not have the title". It seems to me he did not beleive me and he never went to the court house to check if it WAS in his name. I will keep trying to call and talk to him and not his mother but not sure what I can do from here. Any sugestions? I am open. Can I call the court house and have them contact him? What, damn it. OK I'm fine now. its just I have a lot of time and a little money into this and I don't wanna start from strach again. What would you folks do?
Thanks

Double check with your State, but in Az. with these things you're required to send a notarized letter (return receipt requested) to the last known owner requesting transfer of title. Chances are it'll be reurned to you opened. DON'T OPEN IT.--- take the letter and the appropriate paperwork to MVD (and the car if you can) to their "salvage title/abandon vehicle" section and they should issue you a title. Will it be a salvage title? Probably not, since as far as MVD is concerned the vehicle is abandoned, not salvage, so they'll just issue another title --- at least that's how it is in Az.

-
Back