Help... Vin #'s dont match

-
Just damn. I've having a hard time picking out the best post in this thread.
Chuckle on this one though.

So your VINs don't match? Welcome to the real world.
It's a 40 year old Duster, for cripes sakes.
Step one. Go to the Po Po and educate them about all the secret MOPAR vins.
Step two. They will either look at you like you are nuts or give you problems.
(Or both)
VIN laws for late model Hondas and BMWs, sure.
But 40 year old antiques? What's next? Model Ts?
That explains why state laws are patchwork maybe.
Some states want title money. Some states won't even title it.
NINE pages?
There should be a sticky on this:
"How to start a flame storm. Just mention VINs not matching"

Roadrunner or Not
Interesting VIN number on 68 Barracuda
Well I have wasted my time reading it too! But that will change

There is also a vin stamped under the trunk weatherstripping

WOW 9 pages of expert pissing contest and nobody picked up the obvious , they are not called "rebodied cars " in the eyes of the DMV in most states including most Canadian provinces .They are called "Composite Cars"and most places have a mandatory inspection process that ends with the issue of a new title reflecting this .

There is also a vin stamped under the trunk weatherstripping
Thought of this thread when I had my package shelf open last week on 75 Duster. There is no VIN on it. Only thing I saw is in the middle -maybe a part #? Soo...Should I just crush the car now? Lol. I did find one yesterday when I removed the trunk seal.

[

2016-06-18 21.17.58.jpg

2016-06-18 21.07.16.jpg

The VIN stamp on the package tray wouldn't be there if there was one stamped in the trunk gutter, it's an either/or situation, not both. Typically, Darts/Scamps/Valiant's were stamped in the trunk gutter, Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports were stamped on the package tray. Typically. Yours is not the first VIN stamp on a Duster/Dart Sport that I've seen in the trunk gutter, there's some speculation that one of the factories did it differently. Or maybe that guy at that factory that year didn't like stamping package trays for some reason. Who knows. But it would have either a partial VIN stamp on the package tray OR the trunk gutter.

The number in the middle of the package tray is just a part number for the package tray, pretty much all the sheetmetal parts have a part number stamped on them somewhere. The VIN stamp is normally near the driver's side rear speaker, on the rearward side. Or in that general area for fold down seat cars (no speaker hole).

-
Back