Help: What tranny do I have??

-

Fstforward

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Looked @ my 4-speed today(dragged it out from under the car), and besides being coated in all too many years of grease and dirt, the main casting number on the transmission is as follows:

G-95639 U

Any help in decoding what transmission this is????

Thanks in advance

FF

I'll go out in a little bit and look, and also try and get some pics to post to see if we can figure this out.

FF

Is the transmission a ball and trunion?
Does it have a machined pad on it where a VIN might be stamped?
Does the side cover have webbing between the shifter arm bosses?
Why do you need to know what transmission it is? I assume it is an A-body 4-speed yes?
What you need to know is IN the transmission not on it. Open it up, and count the number of teeth on the input shaft. Then count the number of teeth on 3rd gear. Then look at the side cover and determine if the interlock detent holds the shifter forks with spring loaded levers. That'll go a long way toward telling you what you have.

You need to find a seven digit number. The earliest number (1964), is 2464261 and go up assending numbers ie: 3780234 for a 1974.

here's the pics: These are the only numbers I can find on the transmission

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

Looked @ my 4-speed today(dragged it out from under the car), and besides being coated in all too many years of grease and dirt, the main casting number on the transmission is as follows:

G-95639 U

Any help in decoding what transmission this is????

Thanks in advance

FF

that's a CASTING number for the main case , it is ABSOLUTELY USELESS in trying to determine what the trans is , pictures are best .

from the pictures it's a 65/earlier A body trans . the ball and trunion is 65 and earlier , at least on B bodies 64 was the last year for it .

that trans MIGHT be a 3.09 first gear ?

the numbers in the pics are the only numbers I can find anywhere on the transmission, so...........

You are not telling us why you are looking at the numbers. Are you trying to determine if it is the original tranny for your car? That cannot be done on the early 4-speeds. They didn't start stamping VINs on the case until '67.
As JohnRR said, it is an early A, B&T, 23 spline 4-speed with a 3.09 first gear.

-
Back