Help - wipers!

-

Jim64

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1964 Barracuda with the deluxe variable-speed wipers.

I decided to renew my wipers after 58 years. I removed, cleaned, lubed, and sealed the wiper arm pivots. Never one to leave well-enough alone, I decided to pull the motor out and clean it up, too.

I pulled the back plate off of the motor, and cleaned things up a bit inside, added a few drops of oil to the bushing, and put it back together. (Never pulled the armature out.)

I then pulled the cover off the 'gearbox', pulled it apart, cleaned up some of the old grease and added new, and put it back together. I'm wondering if this disassembly/assembly is the problem...

The problem is - when the wipers park, they park in the wrong direction! I have no idea how I did this...when I start the wipers, the motor arm moves in a counter-clockwise direction, as seen from looking up under the dash. When it parks, it reverses and turns clockwise, and parks at about 4 o'clock. If other pictures I've seen are correct, it should be parking at about 8 o'clock.

What the heck did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

Perhaps you have the main pivot on the shaft backwards / 180 out, or the internals are on the shaft 180 out.

Just spitballing

They have different positions for Parking on the gear. The FSM should have it or PM the prestolight number I prob have it.

1670581909537.png

Check your grounds. Even the switch, as it ground thru the mounting nut.
I had one drive me nuts (my switch was hanging and not bolted in) I rested it on the dash edge and it started sparking trying to find a ground. As soon as I grounded it… the system worked as intended.

It had the same symptoms as your description.
Syleng1

I'm placing my bets on the arm position as suggested in post #2. I had the exact problem on a vacuum to electric motor upgrade on a vehicle once. I looked at it on and off for 4 years and never noticed I had it backwards until one day. Parks correctly now.

I did pull the bezel away and re-installed and tighten the wiper switch last night; no change. Looking into the details of the 'park' mechanism now. Mine is older than the one halifaxhops pictured above. Mine's a ERQ-4006-12V, 244.

Look at the first link off the motor shaft.

If it is supposed to be pointing up but it is pointing down when the motor starts the wiper will go the wrong direction.

If the first link is up and the link on the wiper pivot is down

As the motor turns CW (My assumption) the tip of the link moves to the passanger side of the car, causing the wiper pivot to move the opposite direction.

If the motor link is pointing down and the wiper pivot is also painting down.

As the motor turns CW (My assumption) the tip of the link moves to the drivers side of the car, causing the wiper pivot to move the same direction.

I found a thread on an AMC forum that includes some great pictures and descriptions.

I think the culprit might be that the white pick-shaped cam is mislocated. I'll need to pull the motor down to be sure.

Have you checked your wiper linkage yet?

The wipers don't go backwards unless you cut and spliced wires.

Fixed - it turns out that it was the little plastic cam inside the gear assembly. It can be put in two different ways, but only one works! Other than losing the little spring clip under the dash for about an hour, it was a pretty easy fix.

Dang I lost the bet!

Glad it was an easy fix
Ha! At least 3 hours...one of which was spent finding the tiny little clip that sprung up under the dash. Finally found the little bastard hiding under the ignition switch. But yes, it's done - and I need to drive it tomorrow in what is expected to be a heavy rain!

-
Back