Help with 1972 Duster fenders

-

moparduster7

Reaction score
I have been searching for a few weeks for the answer to my problem :banghead:. I bought a 72 duster with no grill and such and both the front fenders are obviously not the originals. The drivers side fender all the bolt holes line up but when i place the headlight bucket in place it looks like the spot for it in the fender is too big. the passenger side fender all bolt holes line up except for the ones on the front side of the core support. there is 3 emblem holes on both fenders but on one the holes are above the body line and the other is below. Both fenders have the marker light which sticks out not the flush mount so that part is right. Im just lost as to whether either of these fenders are correct or if i need to hunt down a set of 72 fenders. Any help is appreciated.

If someone maybe has a 72 duster and they wouldn't mind to take some measurements off their fenders that would greatly help I'm just trying to find out how much work its going to be to make these fenders work

Some pictures might help.

I am not an expert but my understanding is...

70 and 71 fenders are exactly the same.

73 thru 76 fenders are the same.

72 fenders are a bit different physically than 70/71 & 73-76 fenders...

...but are interchangeable with 70/71 fenders (so a 70/71 fender will bolt on to a 72 car and vice versa)

Not sure if a 73-76 fender will bolt/line up or not? Maybe one of your fenders is a later fender?

Again pictures of your situation might help.

I found that 1972 was kind of a transition year, so 1972 Dusters have a number of one year only parts that other cars don't.

I have a 72 Duster (with the grill off currently)...pm me what you want measured.

Paul

72 Fenders are the same as 73-76 Fenders, EXCEPT the metal tabs on the inside to mount the Latch Support to (not there on 73+ fenders)

That piece is what makes the 72 fenders a 1-year only piece. But if you transfer those tabs (or make your own) onto a set of 73+ fenders viola, you have 72 fenders.

I had a pair of 1972 Fenders on my '74 Duster for years, and you couldn't tell the difference between em and 73+ fenders because they're exactly the same, except for those little tabs on the inside

so the headlight bezel area is the same? if i have to weld up and re drill the holes for the headlight bezel mounts to line up thats no problem but it just doesnt look like the bezels fit well like theyre too small for the area. I dont have the latch support for my car it is on its way but where exactly do the tabs go so i can get a general idea?

I've also heard that the relief for the bumper in the fender is different. also both the fenders have three holes in them towards the rear for emblems. Is the 72 duster supposed to have fender emblems? If so wheres the proper location for them above the body line or below? and besides the chrome duster emblem which other emblem would go in the other hole? and the turn signal indicators on top of the fenders my drivers side one has the indicator on it and the passenger doesn't are turn signal indicators correct for a 72 duster?

the fender on my passenger side showing the emblem mounting holes and location
20140314_225752_zpsb02912a9.jpg

and the fender off my drivers side showing emblem holes and location
20140314_225701_zps9ee4e4d4.jpg

The Valiant emblems mean it came off of a 4 Door Valiant, the fenders are the same between 4 Door Valiants, Scamps and Dusters.

Sounds like there was some "voodoo" done to the fenders in the past if the headlight buckets aren't mounting up. As far I know, the buckets are the same for 1970 - 1976 Dusters, Valiants & Scamps.

Got a 70 Valiant Fender on the Driver's Side of my '74 (converting to a 71 clone) with a 73 Bucket, and a '71 Duster fender on the Passenger Side with a 74 Bucket.

Fender Indicators were optional 1970-1976. Here's the correct placement for 1971-1976 "Duster" Emblems (and later style Turn Signal Indicators). This was back when I still had 1972 Fenders on my '74 Duster

You can barely see the little tab I mentioned, in this picture (directly behind the headlight bezel). It's where the latch support would bolt, if they were on a 70-72 Duster.

I didnt see the faint valiant on the pass side fender left over from where the emblem was until i posted that picture. well as long as all the stuff is the same then im good to go i just set the bezel in there maybe i just need to get new bezel mounting hardware and go from there. Yes i can see the mounting tab that would be very easy to add. If some one could get me measurements of where the mounting tab goes exactly i would greatly appreciate it.

I didnt see the faint valiant on the pass side fender left over from where the emblem was until i posted that picture. well as long as all the stuff is the same then im good to go i just set the bezel in there maybe i just need to get new bezel mounting hardware and go from there. Yes i can see the mounting tab that would be very easy to add. If some one could get me measurements of where the mounting tab goes exactly i would greatly appreciate it.

I can get those measurements and pics for you sometime tomorrow morning :glasses7:

In 72 the "Duster" emblem on the fender was used on non-340 car's and 340 cars that were stripe delete. for 72 there is no difference other than that..

ok thank you now i just need to weld up the extra emblem holes from the valiant emblems and fix the emblem location on the drivers fender to the same location.

hey 74Dusted you didn't get those measurements did you?

No, but I did dig the fender out of storage to get the measurements. I got sidetracked by other stuff, sorry. I made a note on my phone to get those measurements for you.

I'm in no hurry just thought I would ask I have to leave myself notes all the time lol too many projects goin on

Sorry for the long delay, my mind has been somewhere else and I don't think it's going to return anytime soon. :D Been kind of busy lately.

Location and measurements for the Latch Support Tabs

Location & measurements for Fender Turn Signal Indicators

Location & measurements for "Duster" Fender Emblem Holes (measurements taken from back of fender, since emblems are still on the fenders)

From the Inner Brace :

Measured from the inside top of the fender :

Sweet thanks alot thats exactly what i needed i appreciate it. Haha i lost my mind a while ago i gave up on looking for it lol.

-
Back