Help with 2 speed wiper switch 1971 340 Demon Rallye Dash

-

salami340

Reaction score
Hi All, I recently acquired a 1971 Demon 340 which had a recent restoration. There is a bit of an issue with the wipers. They are 2 speed wipers with a 2 speed switch. As far as I know the wiring harness is original. The wipers works in low but stop working in high and when turned off they will not return to home position. I ran the tests of the motor using jumper wires to test low high and home function all properly so the motor seems fine. I tried grounding a wire to the switch housing which did nothing. Below is a picture of the switch connector. Does this look correct for a 71 a body 2 speed? Am I missing a wire in the lower slot? I've seen some picture of a separate 2 slot connector but I do not see this attached anywhere to the harness. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

20230901_200244.jpg

Hi All, I recently acquired a 1971 Demon 340 which had a recent restoration. There is a bit of an issue with the wipers. They are 2 speed wipers with a 2 speed switch. As far as I know the wiring harness is original. The wipers works in low but stop working in high and when turned off they will not return to home position. I ran the tests of the motor using jumper wires to test low high and home function all properly so the motor seems fine. I tried grounding a wire to the switch housing which did nothing. Below is a picture of the switch connector. Does this look correct for a 71 a body 2 speed? Am I missing a wire in the lower slot? I've seen some picture of a separate 2 slot connector but I do not see this attached anywhere to the harness. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 1716136240
Here is a pic of the switch. When i look up that part number its seems to be for a 73 and up Abody could this be my problem?

20230901_214128.jpg

The 2 speed switch you need for 1971 is Chrysler part number 2864415. Search that number on eBay.

The 2 speed switch you need for 1971 is Chrysler part number 2864415. Search that number on eBay.
So a 71 harness is not compatible with a 73 and up switch?

Was hoping I didn't need to drop $150 for a refurbished switch on ebay

2 speed wipers and switches operate differently than a 3 speed wipers and switch. If you need to “drop” money on replacement parts after you bought a car then that’s what you have to do.
Looking at the original photo it looks like the harness was re wrapped with electrical tape telling me somebody has been in there. You may need to do a whole harness as who is saying the harness is the correct one for the car? We cannot tell that by a few pictures (trust me it helps ) as we are just goofy people who have been working on cars for a long (and short) time trying to help.
Syleng1

View attachment 1716136240
I have an extra switch and connector if your interested $75.00 plus shipping

20230902_075951.jpg

20230902_080002.jpg

2 speed wipers and switches operate differently than a 3 speed wipers and switch. If you need to “drop” money on replacement parts after you bought a car then that’s what you have to do.
Looking at the original photo it looks like the harness was re wrapped with electrical tape telling me somebody has been in there. You may need to do a whole harness as who is saying the harness is the correct one for the car? We cannot tell that by a few pictures (trust me it helps ) as we are just goofy people who have been working on cars for a long (and short) time trying to help.
Syleng1
It's not a 3 speed switch.

I will send you a PM thanks!

Side note; does anyone know is the green and red wire on the left for the electric wash spray?
I have a foot pump on mine I believe that the one connection left open is for electric pump

Syleng1

Apologies it was late and I was frustrated. My question should have been: Is the 1973 - 2 speed switch that I have (3488839) compatible with a 1971 connector/harness and motor? I'll try to get some better pics of the wiring harness today I hope it's the original but I'm still trying to learn everything i can about the car and I'm not too knowledgeable about electrical. Most of my research indicated that it would be a grounding issue however my testing ground the switch didn't help.

Apologies it was late and I was frustrated. My question should have been: Is the 1973 - 2 speed switch that I have (3488839) compatible with a 1971 connector/harness and motor? I'll try to get some better pics of the wiring harness today I hope it's the original but I'm still trying to learn everything i can about the car and I'm not too knowledgeable about electrical. Most of my research indicated that it would be a grounding issue however my testing ground the switch didn't help.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the car and also there are two different wiper motors and they are very easy to tell apart mine is a 2 speed which sticks out from firewall a 3 speed almost goes flat. Which one do you have also where are you located I'm in Arizona

How many wires go to your switch and what color are they?
Can't tell from your photo.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the car and also there are two different wiper motors and they are very easy to tell apart mine is a 2 speed which sticks out from firewall a 3 speed almost goes flat. Which one do you have also where are you located I'm in Arizona
I'm in northern Illinois I sent you a PM about the switch. Yeah I'm going to do some more research on the wiring this weekend. It is a 2 speed motor.

16936715338538095021763540300965.jpg

If you have any questions my number is 520-249-3984 just text and we can figure it out

Ok that's correct but your missing the 2 connector with is red and green
Okay I'm not at home anymore I will dig around and see if I can find the other connector when I get home. Thanks everyone for the help!

-
Back