Help With 67 Cuda Cluster

-

cudashovel

Reaction score
Newbie here. Just bought a really nice notchback Cuda. I just installed a speedometer that barracudakid had provided that worked great. However when I reinstalled the wiring the previously working Temp,Fuel, and oil pressue guage does not work. Altenator guage works. Which wire did I miss? Does anyone have a picture or pictoral view of the back of a 1967 dash cluster showing the wiring for each guage?

The instrument voltage regulator that resides INSIDE the fuel gauge may be bad. The typical fix is to cut the wires and replace it with an external voltage regulator. You can buy a pre-built unit or build one with parts from Radio Shack for less than $5. (that's what I did but it's been 10 years and I don't remember every detail)
The other gauges need a steady 5 volts supplied by the IVR (Instrument Voltage regulator) to operate correctly.

The only gauges that need regulated 5 volts are the fuel and temperature gauges and the regulation comes from the fuel gauge unless it's been modified. If it worked before you screwed around with it you probably have a wire bundle not plugged in all the way or you may have a circuit board problem on the dash cluster with an open terminal.

The manual download is great and will help for all projects. I'm at work and will look at the suggestions tonight. I might have not attached the ground correctly. Does any one know if a cluster controls all three problematic guages or if it is a separate wire to each. I don't think it is available because I've done an extensive search but it would be nice to have a picture showing the cluster and which wires go to each connector. Thanks

OK- I think the repair manual solved it. The right turn signal also does not work and they seem to be tied to the same connector. If it is not raining I will check tonight

-
Back