Help with 68 A body lower ball joint.

-

68 Notch Back

Reaction score
I bought a lower ball joint from Autozone, it is a Duralast FA424. The mounting holes on the piece are 1/2 inch. My old holes are 5/8 inch so the new ones will not work.
Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you fix it?

68 Barracuda original slant 6 and has 10" x 2 1/2" brakes

Thanks

There are two different shaped/size lower ball joints out there for this period Mopar. One fits the '68 and the other is for the years after that. Try having the look up ball joints for a '70.

Someone with more exact knowledge of the part numbers will hopefully chime in.

I picked up a set from PST, and they only lasted a few thousand miles. Try using the Moog problem solver ones.

I bought a lower ball joint from Autozone, it is a Duralast FA424. The mounting holes on the piece are 1/2 inch. My old holes are 5/8 inch so the new ones will not work.
Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you fix it?

68 Barracuda original slant 6 and has 10" x 2 1/2" brakes

Thanks

If your existing lower ball joint has 5/8 diameter mounting holes, they are 73-76 A body ball joints.
For that to be, your spindles have been changed over to 73-76 ones.

Early A body ball joints are 1/2 inch, for drum brakes, and are 9/16 inch for 65-72 Disc brake cars.

Got some Moog from NAPA. for my 68 valiant, fit perfect. Wait, lower ball joint is a sealed part, you have to change the steering arm. What have you got there?

If your existing lower ball joint has 5/8 diameter mounting holes, they are 73-76 A body ball joints.
For that to be, your spindles have been changed over to 73-76 ones.

Early A body ball joints are 1/2 inch, for drum brakes, and are 9/16 inch for 65-72 Disc brake cars.

Thanks....that is great information.:prayer:

Got some Moog from NAPA. for my 68 valiant, fit perfect. Wait, lower ball joint is a sealed part, you have to change the steering arm. What have you got there?

A lower ball joint in theory can be considered a "steering arm" but never is refered to that.

I would listen to Hemi71x,.

the ball joint change is the 72-73 years otherwise pre 72 are concerned with disc or drum brakes.
Perhaps your front end has been converted to the later 73 style & this is why the fitment issue.

You will also need to research the rest of your suspension for parts knowledge on other items ,Lawrence

-
Back