help with a vibration noise

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
My engine is generally running and sounding healthy. However, around 40-50 mph I hear a rattling sound that sounds like it is under my feet. I think I have determined it is coming from the rod (and assembly) I have circled below. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not positive I know the name of this part. I think it is the transmission throttle linkage, I'm sure someone will educate me.

Engine is '72 225 with 36K miles.

Any suggestions about how to quite things down?

Slide1.jpg

That's the kickdown linkage for the transmission.

Pull on it in different directions to see where the play is and then try to minimize/tighten it up. Maybe throw some grease on it.

It's more likely the counterweight on the butterfly valve in your exhaust manifold. If the spring is broken or weak, and the valve is free to move, it will rattle.

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading about the butterfly valve in the manifold heat control system. I don't think my spring is broken, because when I turn the wheel counterclockwise, it does turn itself back (but it doesn't snap back). So I'm thinking it needs to be lubricated.

Would lubricating likely help with the rattle at higher speed? I am looking at the factory service manual and it looks like replacement is rather complicated.

Sounds like people are recommending chrysler part no. 04318039ab rather than PB Blaster. Any harm in trying PB blaster first?

Lube won't help, but a well placed light spring will.

that or washers under the mounting points of the rod going to the trans

OR buy a Lokar kick down cable and eliminate the rod..

-
Back