Help with brake lights and wipers '72 Duster

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I dont see ANY brake light switch near the top rear of my brake pedal. THis car may have originally been a manual even, but I need to plumb one in. Will have to make a bracket to mount to the pedal frame to attach the spring loaded switch. I DO see two female wires in the vicinity- one is orange the other is yellow- they are the black plastic plug on type. Are these colors for the brake light switch?

Wipers are not coming on-and I did not see a FUSE for them in the box. Was told to check the ground and that resister/breaker thingee on the motor. Dont see a ground wire/strap and think the 3 mounting studs have rubber, so what grounds it? Was thinking of just hooking up a wire to the mounting area and running it to the firewall? How can I check the resister?

The brake switch should and will be there somewhere. It attached to the frame inside not the brake pedal. See pic of mine. Yes mine a 73 Cuda but I think the scheme was the same for all. Find a elec manual on:
Mopar Wiring Diagrams - MyMopar.com - Dodge Plymouth Wiring Diagrams

For your wiper it sounds like a ground issue. Run a wire from the back of the housing the switch connects on to the frame somewhere. You can also check your wires plugging into the fire wall in the engine compartment. Maybe they are tired.

IMG_7204.JPG

IMG_7203.JPG

The brake switch should and will be there somewhere. It attached to the frame inside not the brake pedal. See pic of mine. Yes mine a 73 Cuda but I think the scheme was the same for all. Find a elec manual on:
Mopar Wiring Diagrams - MyMopar.com - Dodge Plymouth Wiring Diagrams

For your wiper it sounds like a ground issue. Run a wire from the back of the housing the switch connects on to the frame somewhere. You can also check your wires plugging into the fire wall in the engine compartment. Maybe they are tired.

View attachment 1715229463

View attachment 1715229464
Thank you.............I took a second look today and still dont see a switch. Its evident that someone- not the factory- put a small steel plate on that frame to stop the pedal- but there are no holes really close to where I would mount a bracket and switch to be in line with the manual brake pedal. You show red/white wires, I'll look at the link you sent- and yes, I have suspected a ground issue on the wiper motor, but I have not looked at it closely yet.

Brake light switch is mounted to the swing pedal support, not to the brake pedal. The two holes to mount it are elongated to allow for adjustment and may be partially obscured by the steering column. The wire colors are pink and white. All cars have a switch- no exceptions.

Thank you.............I took a second look today and still dont see a switch. Its evident that someone- not the factory- put a small steel plate on that frame to stop the pedal- but there are no holes really close to where I would mount a bracket and switch to be in line with the manual brake pedal. You show red/white wires, I'll look at the link you sent- and yes, I have suspected a ground issue on the wiper motor, but I have not looked at it closely yet.
It does look like from the diagrams you sent that my brake switch wires s/be pink and white. I will look more for those- and the switch itself! From your pic, yours appears to be located way up at the top of the pedal arm near the pivot. I thought I looked over the entire area but didnt see any switch- maybe I was not looking high enough????. Hoping I can find the switch is there and needs adjusted because the alternative is that the problem could be in the turn signal switch!

Brake light switch is mounted to the swing pedal support, not to the brake pedal. The two holes to mount it are elongated to allow for adjustment and may be partially obscured by the steering column. The wire colors are pink and white. All cars have a switch- no exceptions.
Yes, I know all cars have em, but this car has been modified and built w/misc parts cars, thinking the assembly may not be the orig, but it may be and I was not looking high enough! I hope so, will find out to morrow.

Brake wires are almost always pink and white. It's not a hole or holes that the switch mounts in. It's a long slide slot to adjust the switch. The switch has one bolt and a tab at the end that also goes into the slot. I'll post pics tomorrow. The quickest way to test the ground on the wiper motor is to attach a battery jump cable from the ground on the battery and clip the other side somewhere on the metal of the wiper motor. (or rub it on the motor case until it moves)

Wiper motor, to get you started. Both 2-speed and 3-speed are grounded by a brass strap going from the wiper motor body to one of the three mounting studs. The hot pink wire on the back of the wiper switch gets it's power from the black wire on the back of the ignition switch which in turn gets it's power from the "ACC" fuse.

Wiper motor, to get you started. Both 2-speed and 3-speed are grounded by a brass strap going from the wiper motor body to one of the three mounting studs. The hot pink wire on the back of the wiper switch gets it's power from the black wire on the back of the ignition switch which in turn gets it's power from the "ACC" fuse.
My cars brake switch is missing- found the white and red wires, but need to see a stock switch to see if I can use one. My master cyl has been upgraded to the modern plastic type and I"m thinking someone attached this metal plate behind the brake pedal to keep it from coming up and pulling the plunger out of the master cylinder. It may be in the way, so I might have to drill a hole in it so I can attach a switch to line up w/the pedal. See pics............

duster 001.jpg

duster 002.jpg

duster 003.jpg

duster 004.jpg

That plate you're showing is where the switch goes. The two wires are- one is pink and one is white, that double connector is not it. That long slot in the bracket, above that plate, at the far end, is the place the switch and bracket bolt to.

That plate you're showing is where the switch goes. The two wires are- one is pink and one is white, that double connector is not it. That long slot in the bracket, above that plate, at the far end, is the place the switch and bracket bolt to.
Thanks, and yes, I have the two separate switch wires hanging on the other side- one is dirty white now, the other pinkish. I dont have the bracket, but dont see why I cant just use a standard hardware store L bracket as shown- as long as I line it up w/the brake pedal (after I remove the stop plate that someone mounted)?

l bracket.jpg

Here's the pics I promised. As I said the switch bracket goes in a SLOT not a hole. It is the slot above your bracket as shown in your pic. I have the switch & bracket if you'd rather not have to makeup parts to fit.

DSC03157.JPG

DSC03158.JPG

-
Back