Help with Bucket Seat Assembly

-

clv22p

72 Dodge Demon 340
Reaction score
I bought some bucket seats a while back, the had been recovered, but they were completely apart. All parts were in a box. I don't know how the latch mechanism works. I have these parts. Plus a bunch of bolts.

Can anyone tell me how to put the back together?

14898762963441130389824.jpg

IMG_20170318_172513878.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen so many threads with how to put covers on , but none describing the actual putting together of the seat.

I can take some photos later if no one beats me to it.

(5" of snow overnight, I have to deal with that first)

You have 1970 - early 1971 hinge covers & buttons, do you know if the seat back frame is 1970 - early 1971 also?

Thank you!

I don't know for certain, but believe they are. I have the hard seat back covers, which I think makes them the 70, 71 ones.

It's never fun putting something back together after someone else has taken it apart.

OK, the first thing you want to do is verify your frame button type. You have the early hinge cover hardware, so hopefully you have the matching rear frames also.

On the latch side of both seats, since the covers & foam are already on, feel for the newer type button box as shown at the bottom of the image below.

If the box is not there & assuming the frames have not been altered, you should be good to go.

1970 early 1971 & later 1971 seat frame button areas w.jpg

This is a bare seat frame, so before poking holes for the bolts in your new covers, make SURE that you are exploring the mating area for your upper latch side.

(the same sets of holes exist on both sides of the seat bottom, but the loop has to line up with your latch of course)

There is no access to the holes from underneath, so you have to do your best to locate the holes & punch through from the top to locate them.

1970 up bucket seat base latch holes w.jpg

1970 up bucket seat base screw hole for bump stop washer , opposite side of the same seat base;

1970 up bucket seat base screw hole for bump stop washer w.jpg

1970 & early 1971 bucket seat base bump stop & washer installed. This is the transmission side of the drivers seat.

You want to install these first, run the threads on the upper bump stop all the way in, this will establish the minimum amount of space you have before setting your outer latch & determining if any shims are needed. After that, you can back it out if needed so it contacts the washer at the exact same time you seat latches into place.

Once again, with the covers on you have to do your best to locate the correct holes before punching through your new covers.

1970 & early 1971 bucket seat base bump stop & washer installed w.jpg

Drivers side seat bottom still, this is the outer latch side of the seat bottom with the catch for the latch installed.

There is a lot of adjustment here, so getting it just perfect for your latch to grab it & close correctly takes some patience.

1970 & early 1971 bucket seat base catch installed w.jpg

If poking holes in new vinyl is beyond your comfort level, load your seats & hardware up & come visit PA.

This is great information! Thank you! I don't have the bump stops so I will have to get those. Do you have anything on the seat latch release button?

Oh, I bet I do. Be sure to verify your rear seat button style first though. Your hinge covers & buttons will not work on the newer seat back type with the boxed button area.

The boxed latch type also requires the plastic backs with the molded in hinge covers.

Good, you have the right covers & buttons then if your frames have not been modified.

I'll to take some more photos & make some edits, check back later, it may take an hour or more..........

OK, 1970 & early 1971 driver side bucket seat back shown with the associated hinge cover. Fortuneately, the button hole in the frame is a fairly large target.

MAKE SURE that you mock it up to the correct side with your latch, becasue the drivers side button with cover will also mount to your passenger side seat on the transmission hump side. No need for any extra holes, even though it would cover up.

1970 - early 1971 seat button details 1 w.jpg

-
Back