Help with Custom Seat Brackets

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

i have a set of 1995 pontiac firefly bucket seats that im going to be transplating in my scamp. Obviously the mounting points are totally different so im going to need to fab up some sort of adapter plate/ new mouting areas or something. My question is has anyone ever done something similar to this before (and im pretty sure someone has) and if so please explain your methods of how you went about it and even add some pictures too. Im just trying to get some ideas of what works and what doesnt so i can do what i need to do properly

thanks in advance guys8)

ok you asked for it.....

I used some threaded rod through the existing (donor car) seat bracket holes, so now you have your seat sitting on 4 threaded posts with a nut on either side (top and bottom ) of the bracket. I then set the seat in the car and tacked the rods to the floor.
So now you have your seat sitting on threaded rods sticking out of the floor.
Now use the nuts to raise and/or lower the seat position on the threads to your liking....now here is where it sucks......

Take the seat off the posts, making sure not to move the lower nut as that will be where the floor/bracket will need to be when you are done with the fab stuff. Then I fabbed up some 4 sided sheet metal pyramids with the point cut off (see pic) . drill a hole in the top of the pyramid and slide down over the threaded rod. now depending on where in the floor the studs are now located I needed to make the bottom of the risers (pyramids) match the contour of the floor ugh..after all of that I welded the risers to the floor and welded the posts to the risers (underneath), cut the rod to about 3/4 of an inch and used acorn nuts to bolt the seats to the floor.
I figured that the pyramid shape and a wide base would give enough strength to handle the weight and surface area to the risers that they wouldn't pull out of the floor....they've held up for almost a year...

Most of this depends on what your seats look like on the underside. I used avenger seats and the bolt pattern of the stock avenger brackets was a trapezoid so I couldn't just make a metal box and bolt the seats to that.

floor brackets.JPG

-
Back