Help with First Next Step Putting '65 Formula S Back Together

-
I have a 65 also white and blue int. 4 spd. with the wood stering wheel. I need to restore it but it was a calif. car to start with so not too bad. Bought it in 88 drove it that year and parked it. I really want to get it done, maybe start on in this winter or next year. And it will be getting a 340 and a 8 3/4.

Headliner now, count your bows are they all the same size? If your car had a dome light now is the time to take measurements it will save you time after the headliner is in place. I use a heavy cord and made a loop and lightly taped to the back side of the headliner, if and when I wanted to install the dome light. Just make a slit where the dome light sit and then pull your wires through.

I decided to not use the Dynamat the weight vs adhesive they used, I didn’t feel comfortable with, didn’t want if to drop down and rest on the bows. Went with the tried and true method of using the felt and can spray adhesive. If you cannot find the correct felt for your car, I have used polyester before, local Wal-Mart carries it, used in making blankets and such.

Nice job should be a looker when you get finished….

The dome lights are in the sail panels I believe, I don't remember another ceiling dome light (but don't trust my own memory any longer). I used thermo tec in the roof of my BBody and was very fastidious about application because I did not want to see it fall down from there (still holding up so far).

The metal dash frame is being painted along with the vehicle (gold, same with the inside of the doors and other inside metal trim pieces).

The metal dash frame is being painted along with the vehicle (gold, same with the inside of the doors and other inside metal trim pieces).
After you get the dash back you could assemble that on your bench or sawhorses. Try to do a complete assembly and install it in one shot.

They have been storing it for two years now, every since the new windshield arrived at their shop and about the same time they removed the huge rear glass for me (as I mentioned already in post #12).

The main problem with glass removal is fear of breakage. The early Barracuda glass isn't that fragile. The rear window is really strong because of the shape and there just isn't much breakage of these pieces of glass. When I started installing my headliner I hired a glass shop to remove the glass. After watching him remove it, I realized how easy it is done. It took the guy about ten minutes to do both. I tried to install the headliner myself which cost me the price of another headliner. When I received the new liner, I hired it done but I removed the glass myself when I got to the shop and installed it myself when they were done with headliner. I took me about 35 minutes to do both. The hard part of the glass installation is installing the lock strips which isn't that bad. I did it all myself and saved a couple hundred dollars.

Bob

-
Back