Help with fuel pump eccentric

-

ILLDuster74

Reaction score
I just put a new timing chain on the 318 in My Duster and noticed that the key way was not long enough to mate up with the fuel pump eccentric. I used a comp cam magnum but for LA engine timing chain. Is there a small dowel or something that has to go in there? pics below sorry its blurry

any help/advice would be great.

028.JPG

yea i can't really see much in the picture. I dont think i have had any beers yet......

Although you may not have the sprocket seated all the way. What i had to do is tighten the bolt slowly without the fpe so i could get the sprocket seated more and then put the fpe on then the retighten the bolt to spec

I took it all the way to the thrust bearing, its on there tight, but from looking at the cam there isn't any material to act as a guide. it ends inside the sprocket. anybody know of a part or should i just make something to allign everything up?

yeah its lined up dodgetkboy i thought i was off too

Stick a screwdriver down the dist hole, pry the cam forward and see if the cam will walk forward more........... Me thinks your cam is pooshed back.

cam is dead center on all the lifters tried a lil wiggling but nothing moved, I just alligned the key way of the eccentric with a screwdriver and tightened it down to 35ftlb

If the cam is for a Magnum 318 and the timing chain is for a regular 318, it just won't work.
The Magnums were designed with fuel injection so a cam eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump was not needed. The snout would be shorter. I seem to recall reading something about having to change the whole front of the motor to accomodate a mechanical cam and that it would likely include the camshaft because of the snout.

Parts shouldn't be interchangable/mixed from what I can figure.

Pull the tits through the holes in the pan, one big, one small........
Use Silicone where the coolant passages are, and that holds your gasket in place......

EEEEEEASY!!!!!!!!!!

:toothy10:

-
Back