Help with Heater & AC Control Assembly

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
I am looking to add a Classic Air Heating & AC system to my originally nonAC 1968 Barracuda Convertible. Has anyone successfully done this bypassing their lever fan control and retaining the original "dial" controller? If so, how did you accomplish that?

Wouldn't it all be in the kit? Ask them. Kits are made for non A/C cars, factory A/C cars have different firewalls.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an original dial controller? I've never heard of it. Have a pic you could share?

Excuse my ignorance but what is an original dial controller? I've never heard of it. Have a pic you could share?
1704339812612.png

How is that a "dial"?
Those heater controls are EXACTLY the same as my 69 Barracuda, and I put a CAA AC kit in mine. If you follow the instructions carefully (It looks like they finally updated them), your current non-AC controls will work great. Don't bother jury rigging a fix around it!!!!! After about 15 years, my system still works great.

How is that a "dial"?
Those heater controls are EXACTLY the same as my 69 Barracuda, and I put a CAA AC kit in mine. If you follow the instructions carefully (It looks like they finally updated them), your current non-AC controls will work great. Don't bother jury rigging a fix around it!!!!! After about 15 years, my system still works great.
A "dial" is a circular controller that pivots. In the case of these cars, the radio and fan controllers pivot vertically. The CAA kit appears to ship with the fan controller operating via a "sliding" mechanism that is used for the Off/Heat/Defrost and Temperature settings.

1704395987537.png

A "dial" is a circular controller that pivots. In the case of these cars, the radio and fan controllers pivot vertically. The CAA kit appears to ship with the fan controller operating via a "sliding" mechanism that is used for the Off/Heat/Defrost and Temperature settings.

View attachment 1716187813
I still don't see a dial. You posted 2 pictures; one in #5 and one in #7. Both of them had lever style controls for both the fan switch and the temp/mode controls. What are you calling the dial?

View attachment 1716187813

Yeah I'm not sure what you're talking about here but there's no dial. The CAA kit has you swap out the fan switch for their switch and then it has you modify and hook up the potentiometer sliding mechanisms to the mode lever and temp lever.

I've only ever seen dial controllers on aftermarket systems that don't utilize the stock controls. Something like this.

vta-481005_an_pq_xl.jpg

I still don't see a dial. You posted 2 pictures; one in #5 and one in #7. Both of them had lever style controls for both the fan switch and the temp/mode controls. What are you calling the dial?

In pic #5 the fan controller
The fan controller in pic #5 appears like similar dials to the radio. I am 1600 miles from my project and ordering parts for the build. In pic #7 the fan controller is completely different in the CAA kit. What I am looking for is to retain using the OEM fan controller (if possible) with the CAA kit. Hope that helps clarify.

Last edited:
OK, @Mopar Virgin, I see the confusion. The fan switch is not a dial. It is a lever that clicks a few stops to the right and a few stops to the left. You can call it a dial if you want to.

-
Back