help with holley 2 bbl vacuum hoses

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I dont know jack **** about a 2 bbl holley but that is what came on this 360 I bought for my sons car. So I bought a new 2245 Holley from ebay and I got it at a right price but has no manual with it. Looking at the 2 carbs, they are not the same carb. close, but not the same. I never saw so many vacuum ports. I imagine a lot has to do with emissions so I need some help. I am going back with basics. I found the fuel inlet. I have the vacuum advance to the dist. I found the big one on the bottom in the back that goes to the PCV that I am gonna plug off, or should I. The big black one in the front has got me confused. The one coming out the back that has the hose on it also.also which lines goes to the valve into the intake on the back. look at these pics and tell me what I am missing here.thanks,Bill

Attachments

• DSC03537 (Copy).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC03538 (Copy).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,357
  • DSC03539 (Copy).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,543
Your son's car is what year and what model? Automatic or manual transmission? California, Federal, or Canada emissions, and with what engine compartment modifications (components removed or hacked)?

Holley_2245_Carb_Ports_1.jpg

Holley_2245_Carb_Ports_2.jpg

Holley_2245_Carb_Ports_3.jpg

1. Cold idle enrichment valve. Used on some applications starting around 1976 or so to augment the enrichment provided by the choke during cold engine operation. Requires external equipment (thermostatic ported vacuum switch, hoses) to operate. If your car does not have a TPVS there is no harm in leaving this disconnected, though you'll have an easier time of life if you install one of the fully adjustable electric choke kits rather than the non-adjustable factory-type choke thermostat. On the other hand, if you want to hook this up and use it, it's not all that difficult.

2. Venturi vacuum tap to trigger side of EGR vacuum amplifier (the "hockey puck" looking item mounted atop the intake manifold and with a larger hose going to manifold vacuum and a medium-size hose going to the EGR valve). If you are not running EGR, cap this off securely. If you are running EGR, connect the right size hose to this and clamp it securely. A vacuum leak anywhere is bad, but a vacuum leak here will really spoil things.

3. To PCV valve.

4. To thermostatic air cleaner snorkel damper thermostat

5. Manifold vacuum tap. Make sure to plug off any nipples you're not using.

6. Bowl vent to "CARB" or "BOWL" port on charcoal cannister on '72-up cars. To appropriately-sized port on '70 California and '71 50-state/Canada cars. If not using a cannister on a car originally so equipped (dumb, use one), leave this port open to atmosphere.

7. To "PURGE" port on charcoal cannister on '72-up cars. Plug off if not used.

8. Distributor vacuum advance (looks like it's already hooked up correctly).

thanks Dan,this is what I needed. What does #5 do. just plug it. also, which one goes to the vacuum ball that mounts to the fender on the pass side. That ball controls the heater box doesnt it. My son has a 73 Dart Sport with a 360. automatic tranny. No emissions. this engine came out of a 79 Dodge RV. I removed the charcoal canister. but am going to put the vacuum ball back on the fender. which port do I use for that.I am prolly going to leave off the PCV valve because I am running M/T valve covers and the hole is too big for a grommet. Is this ok. thanks again.

What does #5 do

Supplies manifold vacuum for things like EGR (if you're running it, sounds like you're not) and heat/AC (hose from "#5" fitting to the vacuum reservoir).

No emissions

Meaning...what-all, exactly? Sounds like you removed some stuff (charcoal can, for example) that only works for you, not against you. The charcoal can traps gasoline that would otherwise be lost out to the air, and stores it so you can actually use what you paid for.

I am prolly going to leave off the PCV valve because I am running M/T valve covers and the hole is too big for a grommet. Is this ok

No, it is not OK. It'll crap up your oil (and the inside of your engine) with dirt and water much faster than if you have proper crankcase ventilation installed. And you'll get a pukeworthy odour of crankcase fumes inside the car. PCV is another system that works for you and not against you. Don't just yank and throw stuff away because it's "emissions" equipment.

The M/T valve covers have only big grommet holes? Fine, there's an easy way around that. Get a Stant 10078, Wix 42997, or AC-Delco 12C26 breather:

10078.jpg

Get a grommet, Dorman #42344 (breather grommet for 1970-1995 Chrysler products), install the grommet into one of the valve covers, and push the breather into the grommet. This breather has an internal filter and a 1" top hole, so just snap a standard Chrysler PCV valve grommet (such as Dorman # 42064) into the top hole and pop a standard Chrysler PCV valve into the grommet, and you're all set. The other valve cover gets a vented breather cap and serves as the crankcase inlet air cleaner.

Dan, can I use the intake port you labeled as #5 for the brake booster. Remove the piece in there now and put a larger fitting the same as the hose to the brake booster. or can I use a 'T' in that hole and run a hose to the brake booster and the other side to the PCV. do you use a regular pipe fitting or do you have a part number for a fitting for that hole. Thanks,Bill

Dan, looking over what you said here. If I am gonna use port #5 for the vacuum ball, and the port off the back of the carb for the PCV, where am I gonna use for the brake booster. Can I tee off the back of the carb for the PCV and the brake booster both.

No, you can't tee as described. You need a multi-nipple fitting in the intake manifold. Big nipple for brake booster, smaller nipple for A/C vacuum reservoir.

can I use a port right from the carb to the a/c ball. My Duster is set up that way right from the carb but this is a 2 bbl and I dont know which one would be best.Or I could pull the plug on the top of the manifold tap and put a 90* fitting to the brake booster. which one would be best.I have the PCV done. I am waiting for the a/c ball to get here.

Hello everyone!

I have the same doubt. I have been looking for the manual or diagram by 3 weeks. When I thought I finally found the answer... I can't see slantsixdan's pictures where he pointed the number for each vacuum hoses...

I have a holley 2245. My Ramcharger doesn't have EGR valve and vacuum amplifier:
attachment.php

This is my engine. I'm not sure if it's 360 or 318. What do you think?

attachment.php

Here it's where I don't know how to get connected:
attachment.php

my manifold has multi-nipple: brake booster and a/c vaccum reservoir:

attachment.php

But... a/c vaccum tube go to inside and other tube return. where must it be connected. I connected it in one carburetor vaccum hoses...Is it correct?:
attachment.php

I hope you can help me... I'm sorry for my bad english O:)

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,930
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7,385
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,340
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,592
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_0057 (2).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,932
The upper one (with the short piece of rubber hose on it) is a cold-idle enrichment valve used with certain emission control system configurations. You can leave it alone; it won't hurt anything to stay the way it is -- it is not a vacuum leak. The small lower one is venturi vacuum to provide a signal for the EGR system -- which you said (in your PM to me) your truck doesn't have. So, plug it.

-
Back