Help with Leaf Shackle Bushings

-

1965t5

Reaction score
I am attempting to replace the shackle bushings on my 71 - original 6 cyl car. I ordered the 1" and 7/8" bushings thinking they'd be different since I added superstock springs. Neither bushing fits the shackle. The original bushing O.D. measures 13/16". Does the 6 cyl shackle have a unique bushing size? Thanks for any help...

Actually you need to research in the Napa paper catalogs,or find in intellectual parts man,at a Napa...Give the man some time,it does exist.... Where I got mine,after leaving such... 2006-ish...

Same deal on my 74, ended up going to a spring shop had them right then.

I am attempting to replace the shackle bushings on my 71 - original 6 cyl car. I ordered the 1" and 7/8" bushings thinking they'd be different since I added superstock springs. Neither bushing fits the shackle. The original bushing O.D. measures 13/16". Does the 6 cyl shackle have a unique bushing size? Thanks for any help...
I got a set of shackles off feebay a while ago. the bushings that came with them were loose and I replaced them with 7/8. Pretty sure I still have the small one's. I will dig them out and measure later to see if they will work for you.

I got a set of shackles off feebay a while ago. the bushings that came with them were loose and I replaced them with 7/8. Pretty sure I still have the small one's. I will dig them out and measure later to see if they will work for you.
that would be awesome. Doesnt make sense that theyre not listed.

Supposedly the /6 and V8 cars had different sizes, but since people have changed motors and springs over the years you just never know until you see them.
The right size will be a PIA to get in, as you will usually need to open the loop on the end of the springs to get it in there.
I used an air hammer with the chisel tip to get in the gap and open the loop until the bushing was in and then pulled the chisel out so it closed on it.

This only applies to the front OEM style bushings and not the shackles.
I got this post and another one mixed up. sorry.

Last edited:

2016-12-18 12.15.05.jpg

other dimensions:
the part that goes in is 1" long.
The side part is 1" diameter (shoulder 3/32) x about 7/16 including the 'dome'. My original shackles had an inset area that dome would have fit in. Inside is 1/2"

Those calipers are reading 13/16", the bushings should fit the shackle bolts/studs tightly, they slip in the eyes relatively free. Usually there is a bit of gap between the bushing
shoulders and the leaves, when you tighten them they compress and "fill" the eye snugly. The eye and hangers on my '64GT are .880"ID, it is a /6, so IDK what those fit at .812".

Those calipers are reading 13/16", the bushings should fit the shackle bolts/studs tightly, they slip in the eyes relatively free. Usually there is a bit of gap between the bushing
shoulders and the leaves, when you tighten them they compress and "fill" the eye snugly. The eye and hangers on my '64GT are .880"ID, it is a /6, so IDK what those fit at .812".
My 75 slant 6 had 7/8 also. These were too small. Hoping they work for OP. My front Eyes apparently were an oddball. Had 9/16 bolts in 2" eyes. Every other reference I have seen said either 1/2 or 5/8?? I had to change front hangers anyway, so change them to 5/8 bolt that fit new bushings I got.
By the way @1965t5 I have a set of Energy Suspension 1.5" bushings for front eyes also if you need...

My 75 slant 6 had 7/8 also. These were too small. Hoping they work for OP. My front Eyes apparently were an oddball. Had 9/16 bolts in 2" eyes. Every other reference I have seen said either 1/2 or 5/8?? I had to change front hangers anyway, so change them to 5/8 bolt that fit new bushings I got.
By the way @1965t5 I have a set of Energy Suspension 1.5" bushings for front eyes also if you need...
I'll take em. Shoot me a message with $ and how you want me to send payment. thanks

-
Back