Help with New Gears for my '75 Dart

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
:violent1:
Hoping to get some good info here. 69Mope, RRR, A/J, Cracked, TrailBeast feel free to drop your two cents please. :prayer::prayer::prayer:
Currently have a 8.25 with the 'Econo Gears' on an open carrier.
I know it needs new gears to do what I want. (Streep / Strip)
Motor / tranny combo is below.

Now for the question...
I found an 8.25 SureGrip at the local wrecking yard. It's in an '87 Dodge Dakota non-ABD and carries 3.55 gears.
I believe it should fit by the research I have done on this site. Dr. Diff believes it should fit however, I will have to use the carrier bearings from the Dakota due to the I.D. difference.
They want $100 for it, no refund and with two boys in College, I don't want to waste the money to find out it is all wrong. On the other hand, $100 for a 8.25 LSD with gears sounds pretty good after looking at the options.

I am pretty good with ford 8.8 and 9" but this will be my first Mopar rear end job.
Does any of this sound correct, good, bad, or otherwise?
Thanks for the help.
Good news is my sons now have a taste for MOPAR and often giggle at the Tuners when they decide to twist those poor little rice burners to the rev limiter.

Go with what you know, drop a Ford 8.8 in, it's a semi common swap.

Also, how are the axles retained on the sure grip? I can't see anyway for a c-clip to fit. Are they bolted at the bearing flange instead?

-
Back