Help with oil pan gasket.... Please?

-

kanders

Reaction score
So I thought I was going to finish assembling my 340 till I went to install the oil pan. Nope, wrong gaskets. The engine is a 1968 but it has a deep sump pan, probably Milodon or Moroso and the fel pro gaskets I bought dont fit. The fel pro have several rubber tits to hold the end seals in place but the pan doesn't have any holes and the gaskets that were on it have lips on both sides to keep it centered. Does someone have an idea, where do I get these gaskets? The top ones in the pic are ones I removed, bottom ones are the felpro. Kev

IMG_2501.JPG

Those are the wrong gaskets. The top ones are what you need I'm sure you know. I've read of Fel-pro's having problems with this lately. I bought Mopar perf. gaskets last month and they worked fine. Got them from summit but any Mopar perf. dealer has them.

In fact I haven't seen the ones you got (the new Fel-Pro's) on any Mopar. Don't know what they'd be for??

Those are the wrong gaskets. The top ones are what you need I'm sure you know. I've read of Fel-pro's having problems with this lately. I bought Mopar perf. gaskets last month and they worked fine. Got them from summit but any Mopar perf. dealer has them.

In fact I haven't seen the ones you got (the new Fel-Pro's) on any Mopar. Don't know what they'd be for??

Thanks fishy, I'll call a Chrysler dealer tomorrow, forgot to look at the application listing on the box, maybe he sent me ones for the wrong engine.

Our 318, which was a reman block with a later oil pan, had the gaskets in the top picture. Got a Fel Pro OS6566C-2 for it and that has the correct rubber gaskets. The -1 has the gaskets with all of the rubber tits

I just got to the shop and looked at the applications on the box and it lists:
273 303 313 315 318 326 oil pan end seals
340 eng 1959-69 oil pan right and left
Weird, what does a 1959 340 look like??????
I'm on my way to the parts store now with my seals. Thanks for the replies. Kev

The 340 oil pan changed in 1970. It used the style gasket set where the end seals had just the 2 stems at the very end to keep the seals in place on the pan when installing it. The holes in the pan were not the same size so that the seals were supposed to go on only one way. The end seals with all the stems are for the earlier 340's. If your motor is a early 340 with the later style pan on it then somewhere along the way it got changed. Some gasket sets are now coming with both style of end gaskets to cover both styles of pans.

The 340 oil pan changed in 1970. It used the style gasket set where the end seals had just the 2 stems at the very end to keep the seals in place on the pan when installing it. The holes in the pan were not the same size so that the seals were supposed to go on only one way. The end seals with all the stems are for the earlier 340's. If your motor is a early 340 with the later style pan on it then somewhere along the way it got changed. Some gasket sets are now coming with both style of end gaskets to cover both styles of pans.

That explains alot. His engine is a 68 (probably what he ordered parts for) but the pan is aftermarket so it's most likely made for the newer style gaskets. Sounds like he needs 70 or newer seals. Good info 416.

I just got to the shop and looked at the applications on the box and it lists:
273 303 313 315 318 326 oil pan end seals
340 eng 1959-69 oil pan right and left
Weird, what does a 1959 340 look like??????
I'm on my way to the parts store now with my seals. Thanks for the replies. Kev

That 59 340 must be a rare one off piece. LOL

I ran into this situation myself when I was working on my car way back in the day. I replaced my oil pan back in the early 70's because it had a small rust hole in it and so I ordered a new on from the factory and the newer version was the superseded part to replace the early style pans. So from that day on whenever I had to pull the pan I had to make sure that I ordered the 70 or later gasket set. It's only been in recent years that I guess a lot of suppliers started to put both sets of the end seals in some of their kits. So before you place an order over the phone or buy at the local parts house, make sure the package has both types in it and if not get the one you need.

Our 318, which was a reman block with a later oil pan, had the gaskets in the top picture. Got a Fel Pro OS6566C-2 for it and that has the correct rubber gaskets. The -1 has the gaskets with all of the rubber tits

You were right Steve68. The set they sent me was the -1, asked them for a 1970 engine and they sent the -2 and picked up the others. Thanks for everyones help on this. Back to assembling! Kev

Most kits come with both seals anymore; if not, just cut the tits off, and use napa make a gasket, grey. clean first.

-
Back