Help With The Brakes!

-

THEWHITEZOMBIE

Mopars an Heavy Metal
Reaction score
hey yall i just need to finish up the brakes on the dart an i ready to rock an roll,my Q is where an what did u all do to run yur proportioing valves?i installed the front willwood kit from summit a few weeks ago an i need to know what is needed to run the P valve,i need some ideas input what ever u all got the cars has the original manual master cylinder with drums out back the car is a 72 dart!thanks for all the help guys
MIKE

I don't have Wilwood's but disk brakes are disk brakes. You need a proportioning valve from a disk/drum setup. I take it that your master is for a disk/drum setup. If not you will need a new master that has the bigger resevoir for the disks. You can pick them up at just about any parts store. Ask for a 73 dart with manual disks and rear drums. They are cheap.

Jack

Master Power brakes has a good site that explains how the prop valves are supposed to work, I think you can add a manual proportioning valve to your rears that is adjustable, I added the stock factory valve from the 73 disc donor car. I think you need a residual valve for a system to work like factory.

the master thats on the car si from my stock drum drum set up,with new willwoods from summit up front,i hav a P valve from summit too its a single in/out set up from willwood!what the problem with runing what i have for my master cylinder?

The problem (s) with keeping your drum/drum master cylinder with a disc/drum setup are that first you need a bigger resevoir for the brake fluid for the disc brakes. Calipers require a lot more brake fluid than wheel cylinders to operate. Think about it.. the large bore of a caliper vs. the relatively small bore of a wheel cylinder. Also, drum/drum master cylinders hold a few pounds of pressure on the lines at all times to reduce pedal travel. This isn't good with disc brakes, you might actually run into a problem where they can't totally release due to the pressure on the lines.

The only problem with that master cylinder is that it's a two bolt pattern cylinder where yours is a 4 bolt. I know people use them, so there's got to be a fix, but I prefer to keep things simple when possible. I'd try for an orignal style cylinder, it shouldn't be that hard to find.

what one would be better to use on my car
Master Cylinder Bore Size: 1.031 in.
Master Cylinder Stroke: 1.310 in.

Master Cylinder Bore Size: 0.938 in.
Master Cylinder Stroke: 1.420 in.

-
Back