Help with Timing

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
hi all,i need help timing the 360 in my 72 Duster.Since its not stock and pretty sure it has a cam,I cant set it right without it dying,and was told I need a timing light with an advance.Well,i have a advance timing light on the way and want to know how to use this light to adjust my timing.Someone told me in my last thread which I cant find to set it 30 degrees @ 2500 RPM.I have it set to where it starts ok,will not stall,but I feel the motor should be alot more powerful than it is right now.Any help would be appreciated.thanks

PS:Someone also suggested timing tape

Most 360s like 34 to 38 degrees total above 2500 rpm with no vacumn advance. Id set total and then see where initial is and how it cranks. Then work from there.

............It could also b a number of things.........hows the carb?.....did it ever run good?............it will want 36 total timing..........dist could b wacko .............kim........

............It could also b a number of things.........hows the carb?.....did it ever run good?............it will want 36 total timing..........dist could b wacko .............kim........
hi kimmer

oh,the car runs good but It feels it could be alot better,carb is new,so is the distributor.the entire motor is still pretty fresh.Im asking because with whatever cam is in it,I cannot set it to stock specs.When I set it to stock,the starter kicks back and it runs awful so i have it set just by guess right now and want to adjust it properly:read2:

Timing tape is nice, but if you have an advance timing light (also called a dial back) its not necessary. First thing I would do is clearly mark TDC on the balancer and the timing tab. Silver shapies are great. You need a tach that you can see from where you are working. If you have vacuum advance, unhook it and plug the hose. Set the timing anywhere that would make it idle nice and start without bucking. Now raise the rpm and watch the curve till the advance quits advancing. For starters 35~37ish is a good max advance. The hardest part is building the advance curve into you distributor that matches you entire combo.

After total is set, then set initial to good start. Then start playing with weights and springs.

Just like kimmer said, check for vacuum leaks, lean carb, also i had one that the balancer slipped, that sucked to time, took some investigating, but after i put on a replacement one, that solved the problems, also, it did exactly what you descibed, when set to factory specs it backtalked something awful!

-
Back