Help with tire selection on cuda

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Help guy's.Time for new tires on my 65 barracuda & I need some opinions. I am leaning towards getting BFgoodrich radial T/A's 205 70 14 in front & 215 60 14 rear.(have 205 70's all around now) Should I keep the raised white lettering out like I have now or go blackwall? Anyone else run radial T/A's & any pictures of an early cuda with blackwall tires so I can compare would be awesome. Thanks.

Oldschoolcuda

I like the white walls facing in.

CIMG4405.jpg

I think you need to pic a taller tire for the rear. a 215 60 will be about an inch shorter than your front tires. You may have to step up to a 245 60 on the back to get equal height of a 205 70 front.
By the way, 2 excellent looking Cuda's, both with a different look!

Thanks guys. hkeller your 65 looks awesome with those wheels & tires. Your right Keith Mopar I looked at the specs. & they are almost a full inch shorter. 205 70's are the largest I can run on the front because of fenderwell headers. 215 or 225 70's should work on the back. Thanks for the pic & the info.

Oldschoolcuda

For that car, I would consider redlines, which you can get in original bias ply and in bfg radials. Expensive though.

The redlines would be a cool look. Thanks. Went on the coker tire site & ouch $185 each for the radials & no way i'm ever running bias ply again. I can't drive gently & my 340 putting those babies up in smoke would hurt.

Oldschoolcuda

There is a pontiac website that has a page where they make DIY redlines. They masked off the redline rings with tape and colored them using SEM red vinyl dye as I recall.

hello hkeller! wondering what size wheels and tires are on your cuda? looks awesome.both are really nice cars!!!!!!

I say on your wheels, go with white letters. They give a racy look. Just plain black wall tires are just boring. You know what I mean? I've always liked rallies with white letters. Heck I wish that the tire companies would put white letters on low profile tires.

I like the whites!Go to my garage,i dont have pics on this computer.Mostly a
personal preference thing.I think they would accent your white body color well.

Check out the Cooper Cobras ...... White letters out.....Made in U.S.A...... :cheers:

My son and I went with BFG TA Radials, 205-70X14 on the front and 225-70X14 on the rear. We contemplated Firestone 500's, but went with the TA's because they look more muscle car era to us. I went with a size difference front to rear to add to the stance of the car along with the air shocks, rather than the same size all around. It's all in your personal preference. Our thread in Member Restorations shows more pictures of how the tires fit.

VEHICLE SONS.jpg

I've alway's been a fan of white letter's in. But, your car look's real nice with white letters out. I definately would re-think the sizes for the rear though. Your back end will be too low.

I've alway's been a fan of white letter's in. But, your car look's real nice with white letters out. I definately would re-think the sizes for the rear though. Your back end will be too low.

I'm in the same boat right now, I just scored some rallys.

Can you run 60 series tires all around for less sidewall?
And can you run a 225 on a 5.5 rally?

This is with 245/60-14 back and 205/70-14 front on 14x6s and SS springs.

Opps, thats too small, I'll try to fix that.

avat1.jpg

215/70/14s fill wheel well out real nice on my 73 dart sport , i had taken off four brand new 205s found to small in bf goodrich. Thanks al;ot

Thanks for all the input guys. Decided to go with BFG TA radials & keep white letters out. 205 70 14 in front & 215 70 14 in rear. Your ride looks great with the BFG's Button. Now I just need to get hold of some cash to get em. Come on stimulas check!

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back