Help with torsion bars with photos

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I thought I would put these up so some people could either file them away to help others or some could use them right away for some problem solving. I can always solve problems much easier if I have a picture or photo to go by. Over a few days I've found some pretty good suspension pics that have really helped me.

Attachments

• 72axrail.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 484
  • lower control arm with arrow.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 484
  • torsion.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 467
  • Torsion bar bolt.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 601
  • mopp_0701_02z+1968_plymouth_gtx+bushings.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 480
  • mopp_0402_23_z+front_suspension_rebuild+front_anchor.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 457
  • mopp_0402_16_z+front_suspension_rebuild+control_arm.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Lower Control Arms-2.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 480
  • Lower Control Arms.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 503
Thanks. Nice photos for reference. I like to analyze a project as much as possible before diving into it.

Thanks...now can you tell us how to determine the left TB from the right?

And what is the little arrow pointing to on the LCA pic?

Thanks for posting the pics. I am changing mine out later this summer. But I hope you are not using the pipe wrench for removal or your not reusing the bars. that wrench could gague the bars making them usless. Just a thought.

Thanks for posting the pics. I am changing mine out later this summer. But I hope you are not using the pipe wrench for removal or your not reusing the bars. that wrench could gague the bars making them usless. Just a thought.

Yeah, be very careful about removing torsion bars. A knick could result in a radial fracture.

I was eating dinner one night about 30 years ago. I heard a loud "bang," like someone threw a rock against the house. I went outside and looked around - nothing. On the road the next day, I felt every bump in the road travel through the car's body. Oh, crap. Got the car on jackstands and noticed that the driver side torsion bar was broken; a perfect spiral fracture where it entered the crossmember. Yes, there was a noticeable nick in the steel at the start of the fracture, probably from a stone or piece of metal kicked up on the road.

I have used the broken short end as a paperweight since then.

Thanks...now can you tell us how to determine the left TB from the right?

And what is the little arrow pointing to on the LCA pic?

They should have numbers on the end, the odd numbered goes in the drivers side and the even numbered goes in the passenger side.

When i clicked on that posting, i thought some of the pictures of the lower control arms looked familiar to me.
The two pictures of the LCA's on the counter top, and on the floor, are some of the pictures that i took for that pair of LCA's that i sold on eBay a couple of months ago.
Someone saved the pictures from my eBay ad, but i don't know how the photo in this posting has that blue tint to my counter top.
Now i'll be immortalized on the internet forever. lol :thumblef:

Attachments

• 73-76 LCA's 002 [640x480].jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 261
When i clicked on that posting, i thought some of the pictures of the lower control arms looked familiar to me.
The two pictures of the LCA's on the counter top, and on the floor, are some of the pictures that i took for that pair of LCA's that i sold on eBay a couple of months ago.
Someone saved the pictures from my eBay ad, but i don't know how the photo in this posting has that blue tint to my counter top.

Ha! Imagine how Weiner feels now.

LOL That's right..The best pics I've seen so far :)

-
Back