Help with trim removal... '93 Cherokee??

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't an A-body question but I haven't had much luck on the Jeep forum I belong to... I'm removing the side molding on my '93 Cherokee and this rubber-like adhesive underneath is impossible to get off.

423858_4013774654999_78048703_n.jpg

It's not the stuff on the top and bottom (my 3M stripe remover works great on that), it's the black spots in the middle. I've tried Goof-Off and WD-40, nothing. I tried going at it with a razor blade and ended up taking some bits of the paint off with it :banghead: What the heck is this stuff and how do I get it off???

there is a pinstriping removal wheel you can buy for a drill that costs about $10 and will save you hours of pain, it won't harm paint if your careful

there is a pinstriping removal wheel you can buy for a drill that costs about $10 and will save you hours of pain, it won't harm paint if your careful

That's what I meant with the stripe remover, I got one for the tape residue on the top and bottom and it works great for that but does nothing to the rubber stuff.

Guess my only option to try now is a heat gun, hopefully I find other uses for one I buy since I don't have one.disgust

That's what I meant with the stripe remover, I got one for the tape residue on the top and bottom and it works great for that but does nothing to the rubber stuff.

Guess my only option to try now is a heat gun, hopefully I find other uses for one I buy since I don't have one.disgust

You might try a hair blow dryer. I use one we have laying around the house for many jobs a heat gun is called for and have pretty good luck with it.

i took a putty knife and a hammer to mine. then i sanded the remainder, then masked the lower portion and painted it satin black all across the bottom....

i took a putty knife and a hammer to mine. then i sanded the remainder, then masked the lower portion and painted it satin black all across the bottom....

Lol I'm not about to do that the paint is in decent shape for being 20 years old... Luckily I got the goof-off to work with a lot of elbow grease and slicing it down with a razor. I have an old blow drier that works pretty well, i'll park it out in the sun for a few hours too.

Might be a little late now, but when I removed mine I used some fishing line. Wrapped it around a finger on both hands and just kinda used a sawing motion while pulling downwards. Got most of it off then just used decal remover from auto store.

-
Back