Help with VIN location on small block

-

MoparGarage

Winter Sucks!
Reaction score
Well, I thought I knew how to find the VIN stamp on a small block but I guess I don't. I have a 318 in a car and a 340 sitting in my shop and I can't find it on either of them. Can someone please describe, or post a picture of where the VIN is located on a 71 and 72 small block?

Thanks,
Bruce
(Formerly ABodySickness)

The actual vehicle Vin. is just above the oil pan rail about in the center. On a machined flat pad. For the life of me however I can't recall which side though. The engine ID # is stamped on the front of the block right below the left head.

The actual vehicle Vin. is just above the oil pan rail about in the center. On a machined flat pad. For the life of me however I can't recall which side though. The engine ID # is stamped on the front of the block right below the left head.

Thanks, I saw that pad on the 340 but it was painted over and looked blank. I will get out the scraper.

Pass side, same side as oil filter, flat machined pad about 1/2 way back just above pan rail. There is a block drain pipe plug very close to it.

If the engine was cast in 67 to mid 68 it may not have a number on it. 68 might havei a vin stamped in the bellhousing rail up top.

-
Back