Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

70440duster

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster, 360 and a 904 auto. The electical system is a MSD box, coil and distribator. When I bought the car the seller told me that it had a special made 100 Amp alternator because of the stereo he had in it. Here is my problem. I know the amp meter in these cars are crap. It stated to show a negative charge and I took the black wire from behind the gauge off. Then I noticed that when I would hook up the black wire again it would spark. I know that the black wire comes from the alternator (ground) and the red one for the other side of the gauge comes from the starter relay (Hot). With the gauge hooked up, I get voltage from both sides of the post on the gauge. I replaced the gauge and all was well for one short drive. Then it started to discharge again like before. When I checked the gauge again it was hot on both sides. I have gone through all of the other wiring and even replaced the harness in the front lights and engine. I am wondering if this alternator that is putting out 100 amps is killing the ampmeter? Any thoughts?

An AMP meter is just a device that measures your flow of current.

You will BURN the hell out of that meter if you leave it in. 100Amps flowing thru that will in no time melt it. what the previous owner didnt mention was that his amp subs and radio needed the extra voltage to run, You how ever dont. you could leave it or remove it. either way it doesnt matter. no harm done, but you will need to remove that amp gauge if you want to use that car one a regular basis, like I stated all.. ALL the cars power goes thru that gauge, key in run or on, so the more you use the hotter it will get. most mopars came out of the factory with an amp meter draw, its just the way mopars are.

to fix this you can
A:
Convert it using M.A.D. Electrical AMP removal.. a www site or
B:
replace it with a BETTER then OEM amp gauge.

If you have any Questions.. Ask.. I and Most of us here have done it.

Cerwin

Both sides are going to be HOT, as power flows through it. Unlike a volt meter, that shows the difference between the sides

If you have a discharge you have a short or your alternator isnt working.You will have pos on both sides of amp guage your current flows thru the guage. They are not capable of more than about 40 amp before meltdown.

NMC_ru_Pickerell_jpg.jpg

Thanks, I did take off the alternator and had it tested. Voltage is good. I do think that I need to put a stock one back one. It also melted where the fuseable link is by the middle bulkhead in the engine compartment. Thanks for the great answers.

-
Back