help

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
Can anybody explain this to me ? it's back again when I push the brake peddle the under dash courtesy light comes on { only the one under the dash none of the others } what connect`s these 2 circuits ? and why only the 1 light and not the rest on that circuit ?:dontknow:

Go to my mopar.com there are wire dieagrams there that show were each wire goes and are colour coaded. hope this helps.

Are the brake light bulbs good? The dome light in my '66 Valiant doesn't work if you open a door and there is a brake light bulb out. Works fine if you use the headlight switch knob to turn it on though. I've seen about half a dozen variations on this depending on how the cars were equipped, but they were all intended to get you to a dealer to get the problem fixed since most folks can't seem to notice a brake light out on their own car. Unless you're driving around Chimney Corner curve on Rt. 60.

thanks guys I'll check the brake lights tomorrow , I don't know that the wiring diagrams will help as the whole car was rewired by hand { not new harnesses }this has happened a couple of times before and then gone away on its own but I would really like to know why

well turns out you were right it is the brake lights , I don't know why yet it keeps going away before I can get home to check it out then in a couple of days it comes back for a while , oh well just part of the joy of owning a classic eh . Thanks for the help

Might be a long shot here, but it sounds almost as if you may have a mechanical short/ground happening. When you press on the brake pedal, it may be pinching the courtesy light wire and grounding it causing it to turn on - the same thing may be shorting your brake lights. This may explain the intermittent nature of the issue.:-k

Just a thought. My experience with vehicles with aftermarket wiring is that sometimes the installer may not choose the best route for wiring. May look good when under there, but the motion of pedals and such may create problems if it is not run in a safe place.

Good luck!

I was wondering about that myself ,this guys been a mopar mechanic for near 40 years so I expect he did it right but I noticed a kink in the wire that comes off the brake valve I think this is the switch for the brake lights as I don't see a switch behind the peddle or arm like a bow-tie has , this wire runs up from down near the headers and may be the problem { I won't know till the car cools down enough to get my hand down there and check the connection } I also have jiggled things behind the dash as a side effect of getting the new bulbs in the circuit board back there to re light the dash { still no high beam indicator or e-brake indicator } and have wondered about that cluster behind the drivers kick panel but I have tail-lights and turn signals just no brake lights so thats the first priority as pulling on the running lights every time I hit the brake peddle to fool the world is getting real old real quick disgust

well I got into after she cooled down and the connector on the valve seems tight , I found the switch on the front of the peddle under the dash and it seems fine but I noticed I don't have any C pillar lights so I think now the re must be either a short in the wires running back or maybe a fuse I'm going to have to take the sill plate and interior panels off after work tomorrow and start there I guess , yeeehaw

-
Back