Help!

-

bayyum

Reaction score
can ou guys help me with writing my first resume, i dont have a clue, if you have samples or any help, it would be kindly appreciated, thanks in advance

MIKE

In my "polishing" class I took in my senior year @ Cal State Hayward, I learned:
1). Spelling and grammar mean the world. If there are errors, it reflects on how your interviewers perceive you.

2). Keep your resume to two pages or less. Less is more! If you've had any jobs which you think could work against you (you were fired, bad referral,...), leave it out of your resume.
Also compose a short letter on why you feel you will make a good addition to the company you are applying for, this will be your cover letter. Your cover letter sells you. Use the term "I" as little as possible, to them, its not about you, its about them.
You will have three pages, no more, to hand to your interviewer. Any more, they lose interest, they don't have time to read lots of stuff!

3). Use good quality paper. Don't use your printer paper, get some nice middle weight paper from a Kinko's/FedEx office and a matching envelope.

4). Have several people proof read your resume before you send it out. Don't get defensive, they're your friends, they're trying to help you.

Good luck Mike!!

you can also tailor your skills list to match the job you are applying for, not to lie, but if you are looking for a mechanic job, put your mechanical and troubleshooting skills at the top of the list... they won't care how many burgers you can flip in 3 minutes (you get the idea)..

PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you some samples. You probably don't have a lot of experience to put down because of your age and a simple paragraph with your name, address, phone number and what you're attempting to do (job wanted) should suffice. A small blurb about high school or church activities and any other civic organizations (scouts, Civil Air Patrol, etc.) will go a long way to show a potential employer that what you may lack in actual experience, you make up for in potential and willingness to learn.
It's all about what you have to offer an employer -- your potential contribution to the organization.

I went through this not long ago, and found a lot of good ideas by google-ing 'sample resumes.' The main points I learned are that you have 20 seconds to sell yourself and to tell specific things you've achieved instead of 'attended so-and-so.' You also want to use bullet-points to catch the employer's eye.

It was actually pretty interesting and fun.

A few days after they receive your resume it is a good idea to send a short, hand-written follow-up letter on good stationery thanking the employer for reviewing your resume and letting him know you are very interested and that you are eager to meet with him whenever he would like.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get a job right away. Remember you have nothing to lose and you're gaining experience and confidence along the way.

Think of it as an adventure and good luck!!

Mike, if you PM me your email, I can send you a copy of my resume, and you can use it as an example. It shows who I've worked for, as well as what schooling I have earned, and explains what kind of worker I am, and what I can offer their company. It hasn't failed me yet!

You should check out the thread Joe (ramcharger) did on here a while back. Its a whole thread that covers how to write up a great resume. Helped me get back to work.

-
Back