Help!

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
So Im going to change the intake gaskets for the 4th time for ***** and giggles because I believe I did a shitty job putting them on and have water leaking into the oil. Its not alot of water because when I pull the dipstick I hardly see any milkshake looking stuff on the dip stick.. But I also believe that I have coolant leaking into the cylinders because I have a popping sound thats random. Meaning that its not constant. It will go and come every say 10-15 seconds and I wanted to know is it possible that leaking intake gaskets will do this?

ps might be a different problem but my spark plugs are all sooty and I recently put in some sea foam to clean the carbon

If this is the 4th set and you are still having the same problem, I would look somewhere else ... possibly a head gasket.

Dam....Buying stock in Fel-Pro first thing tomorrow !!!!

You are having a tough time with this engine.

New fel pro sucks. Get Mrgasket, and no rtv. Copper the ports, permatex the water, rtv the ends of intake.

If this is the 4th set and you are still having the same problem, I would look somewhere else ... possibly a head gasket.

no its the 4th set because ive gone through 2 camshafts and 1 because I didnt seal it correct and this number 4 because I didnt seal it right and I know because its leaking ontothe timing cover.

Im using the edlbrocks because their port matches the ports on my intake and my heads

these are the new RHS magnum heads also so they have big ports

Did you have the block/heads machined? If so are you sure the intake matches?

Ate you putting a sealant on the intake bolt threads?

no its the 4th set because ive gone through 2 camshafts and 1 because I didnt seal it correct and this number 4 because I didnt seal it right and I know because its leaking ontothe timing cover.

Im using the edlbrocks because their port matches the ports on my intake and my heads

Ok, then perhaps it's not a head gasket issue.

I forgot about the sealant on the intake bolts, do you know exactly what bolts it goes on? and also what kind of sealant for them?

should I order the edelbrock gaskets and wait for them? or just get the fel pro that are the stockers for the magnum heads?

and yes the intake matches...

ok so this is what im going to do.....order the eddy gaskets....black RTV on the ends on the intake...red permatex around the heads for the water ports....and red permatex on the intake bolts? is that good?

I have had good luck with the factory mopar intake gaskets. They come with the rubber block end rails. I use a light smear of sealer around the water outlets and end gaps.

those are like 44 dollars, Ill just wait 2 days for the eddys

if you are having a problem with the end gaskets moving on you, you can take a center punch and carefully put a row of dimples across the front and back where the gasket sits. This creates a small crater with a sharp lip that actually sticks up a bit. You can do this on the top of the block as well as the bottom of the intake and that helps hold the end gaskets in place.

I dont use end gaskets, I just use some rtv because the eddy intake gaskets dont come with end gaskets

Burnt, I see your running the RHS magnums, thats what i'm running, the felpro magnum intake gaskets are nice (they are black not blue), at least the ones i got in the head kit, are you useing the rubber rail gaskets or the cork, i used the cork & always trim just a bit off each ends of the cork so the they don't overlap the head area, then i use a generous amount of RTV in each corner, i lay a thin layer of the RTV on F&R rails (top & bottom) of the cork, then a thin layer around the water jackets & top of gasket, let it set up about 10 minutes, lay the intake on, after bolts are installed, i start in the middle working out, i do this about 4-5 rounds on the bolts.

does any one retorque this stuff wen we raced small blocks (on dirt) I found retorqing everything paid off and on the intake took a small hammer and taped on the tabs on the intake then retiten them.the heads are a pain in the :bootysha:but we stoped blowing head gaskets..and always put rtv around all water holes.just a scem... just trying to help this always worked for me.........

Burnt, I see your running the RHS magnums, thats what i'm running, the felpro magnum intake gaskets are nice (they are black not blue), at least the ones i got in the head kit, are you useing the rubber rail gaskets or the cork, i used the cork & always trim just a bit off each ends of the cork so the they don't overlap the head area, then i use a generous amount of RTV in each corner, i lay a thin layer of the RTV on F&R rails (top & bottom) of the cork, then a thin layer around the water jackets & top of gasket, let it set up about 10 minutes, lay the intake on, after bolts are installed, i start in the middle working out, i do this about 4-5 rounds on the bolts.

what part number for the intake gaskets?

I think the pop im getting is a lean pop possibly? Im going to adjust the carb again when I get everything tightened up.

A miss firing spark plug, bad plug wire, or cracked dist. cap can make it pop erratically like that.

my plugs are sooty can that do it? umm ill check the plug wires..and i doubt the dist is cracked.

Honestly…. With the 2 threads you have going on I think You are trolling us.

If so…. Nice job you have had me hook line and sinker.

-
Back