Hemi build in progress

-
Barton told me the replacement head was no longer available and wanted to sell me the custom stage v with stock valve. Any idea what the port size and flow numbers are?

Well they are the custom heads but they are stock appearing. Didn’t ask for flow numbers and the ports
are huge:lol: I called Ray and told him what my short block was and he said I’ll fix you up. The replacement head came ready to use the custom head is exactly the same with unfinished ports

Well they are the custom heads but they are stock appearing. Didn’t ask for flow numbers and the ports
are huge:lol: I called Ray and told him what my short block was and he said I’ll fix you up. The replacement head came ready to use the custom head is exactly the same with unfinished ports
Ok, just curious. Barton wouldn't give me any numbers, but Tim said his custom for my application has a 241cc port and flows 471cfm. I'm just trying to get the best head for my app. Thanks

Ok, just curious. Barton wouldn't give me any numbers, but Tim said his custom for my application has a 241cc port and flows 471cfm. I'm just trying to get the best head for my app. Thanks

I will call Ray Monday and see if I can get the info on the heads. I will say that I really can’t see how you could get any more flow out of these heads other than going bigger on the valves they are opened up all the way into the pushrod passage and he installed bronze tubes in them to seal the ports up. The superformance intake gaskets I got have to be opened up quite a bit to match the ports. When you start talking flow numbers how does one state definitively that the numbers are true? What one head flows on one bench could be more or less on another.

Oh and I replied to your post over on FBBO about my experience with Ray. He done my heads and spec’d
my cam and picked the lifters the carbs and intake.
I measured and ordered my pushrods from Smith bros.

Last edited:
I will call Ray Monday and see if I can get the info on the heads. I will say that I really can’t see how you could get any more flow out of these heads other than going bigger on the valves they are opened up all the way into the pushrod passage and he installed bronze tubes in them to seal the ports up. The superformance intake gaskets I got have to be opened up quite a bit to match the ports. When you start talking flow numbers how does one state definitively that the numbers are true? What one head flows on one bench could be more or less on another.

Oh and I replied to your post over on FBBO about my experience with Ray. He done my heads and spec’d
my cam and picked the lifters the carbs and intake.
I measured and ordered my pushrods from Smith bros.
I was gonna use the Bill Mitchell aluminum block and Tim was completely against that block telling me the sleeves move around and the caps would stay in place either, Ray said nothing negative about that same block.

Another shot of the home for this hemi
FC144562-CB89-4CB9-A627-755BDF139B0D.jpeg

I
I was gonna use the Bill Mitchell aluminum block and Tim was completely against that block telling me the sleeves move around and the caps would stay in place either, Ray said nothing negative about that same block.

I think that sometimes that says a lot about a guy when he don’t trash other people’s stuff especially when he’s trying to sell you his. I think Tim knows
hemis but at the same time Ray has been building and racing them for years.

All aluminum blocks move around. Not a thing you can do about it, even with all the different treatments they do to them.

When the block moves, the sleeves move with it. It is what it is.

I’m now working on valve covers and oh boy! It has been a real challenge so far. The repop covers are...
well let’s just say the need some work. And you have the spark plug tube length to get right. So that’s where I’m at presently trying to make some valve covers work.View attachment 1715727349View attachment 1715727350View attachment 1715727351

What piston to head clearance did you come up with ?
I see some hi octqane gas in ur future !-----------jealous !

All aluminum blocks move around. Not a thing you can do about it, even with all the different treatments they do to them.

When the block moves, the sleeves move with it. It is what it is.
If Tim wouldn't have mentioned that BM block leaking all over the place and some slitting up the middle my choice would be much better. I know Tim has his own cnc programs for these heads too. Who do you sells a better head to better match our combos?
Static compression is calculated at 11:1
I have been told Hemi's are good on good pump gas to 11.5:1. I'm doing 12:1 and mix a little Dragon fuel in as i do with my 511 wedge.

Tim Banning or Ray Barton both would do you right.
Just call them both give your short block info and what you want to do with the car. See what head work they recommend and why and make your decision from there.

Just call them both give your short block info and what you want to do with the car. See what head work they recommend and why and make your decision from there.
Yep, either guy, but i do like Tim a bit more for being forgiving with the info.

If Tim wouldn't have mentioned that BM block leaking all over the place and some slitting up the middle my choice would be much better. I know Tim has his own cnc programs for these heads too. Who do you sells a better head to better match our combos?

I have been told Hemi's are good on good pump gas to 11.5:1. I'm doing 12:1 and mix a little Dragon fuel in as i do with my 511 wedge.

IF ALUM. HEADS MAYBE , BUT CAST IRON HEADS WOULDNT RUN ON ANYTHING BELOW 102 WITH 10.5 PISTONS BACK IN THE DAY , WOULD RATTLE LIKE HELL !

Great work there, can i ask what size push rods did you use, did you have any push rod to head or to block contact and what lifters are you using, did those roller rockers with push rod length and adjusters give a good center pattern on valve stems ? mine has a hyd roller and tried various hyd roller lifters messing with the installed height of the lifters and finding i believe the taller the lifter the greater the push rod arch = shorter push rods .

IMG_20180513_180033070.jpg

IMG_20180513_161042350.jpg

Great work there, can i ask what size push rods did you use, did you have any push rod to head or to block contact and what lifters are you using, did those roller rockers with push rod length and adjusters give a good center pattern on valve stems ? mine has a hyd roller and tried various hyd roller lifters messing with the installed height of the lifters and finding i believe the taller the lifter the greater the push rod arch = shorter push rods .

View attachment 1715740989

View attachment 1715741005

WOW that sweep is wide. Somehow you need to correct that.

Your project looks real good. I ordered the Stage 5's from Tim and the block real soon.

View attachment 1715740989

View attachment 1715741005

I used 3/8 pushrods from Smith Bros. the push rod head and block passages have been enlarged and the pass through on the heads have bronze tubes installed.

I used 3/8 pushrods from Smith Bros. the push rod head and block passages have been enlarged and the pass through on the heads have bronze tubes installed.
I have clearanced mine, my heads are the old Mopar Heads with 3/8 Smith Brothers which i back tracked with a prior invoice from prior owner . Is yours running yet ?

I have clearanced mine, my heads are the old Mopar Heads with 3/8 Smith Brothers which i back tracked with a prior invoice from prior owner . Is yours running yet ?

Not yet it’s close! I’m gonna build a run stand while I wait 6 weeks on my headers:BangHead:
Here’s how it sits now like I say it’s close.
CBA1012F-D62C-4307-B0E3-544807D61E25.jpeg
C3C74407-249E-4630-8F66-9DBB2B585E94.jpeg

-
Back