Hemi engine question

-

longarm

Car sold back to original owners
Reaction score
i have an opportunity to buy a 60's hemi engine.
i know next to nothing about them.
it is a hemi and has an aluminum x ram intake,
no carbs. supposed 392.
engine has been sitting upside down outside
for several years.
will be bought as is, where is, no questions.
what would be a fair price given this info.
how do i confirm its a 392. what cars did they come in?
i've walked around it, it appears intact
its stuck.
i know its not much info but its a buy it or don't deal.
thanks longarm

2000 to 7000... it gets stupid... depending on condition...

I picked up a 331 for 300 bux, but they are few and far between... if it had been a 392 it wouldd be alot more..

here some pictures i took of the hemi.

m1.JPG

It's the 331/354/392 style Hemi. It looks like it has a torqueflite behind it. It must have come out of a truck or something because of the rear sump pan.

thanks for all the info.
still workin the deal!
longarm

If it was near me I'd try to buy it cheap. Even if I couldn't get it apart, I'd clean it up, paint it, put it on an engine stand & let it sit in the corner of my garage. There's just somethin' about a HEMI. I love the look of the intake on that engine! :blob:

:burnout:

I don't know of any trucks that had 2-4s on it. Buy it just for the intake alone, it's got to be rare.

this was the car i went to look at to buy and ended up
looking at a hemi, 1937 dodge ram.

m4.JPG

halfaed said:
I don't know of any trucks that had 2-4s on it. Buy it just for the intake alone, it's got to be rare.

The cross ram adapters are made by Offenhauser and I would suspect the intake is also aftermarket given the size of the carb base. Every intake I have ever seen has been cast iron and the carb base was for the old Carter WCFB which is smaller than the AFB.
A cool find!

the rear sump pan is from a car... trucks had a sump the entire length of the pan...

center sumps are USUALLY for 392 hemi cars, due to the fact that in 57 they started torsion bar suspension

the rear sump was for the ciol spring cars, this means that the motor has been around, it looks like a 392 due to the water pump, water crosseover arrangement.

the intake is a standard 2x4 intake with add on cross ram carb adapters, they bolted onto the intakes to move the carbs out, i think offy made the ones i have seen...

cool find...!

quick question...

So since i was growing up my dad has had a 53 neW yorker sitting at what was my grandfathers house. It was my dads before he went to nam and sold it with the house to the current owners. The car is still there, complete. It has the 331 Hemi engine in it. I probably have every chance of getting the car should i want to tackle a beast like that. Would the engine, (with the weight and all), be worth trabsferring into a Demon for cool factor, or would the car be better off completing it as original? No rust AZ car with all trim seats dash everything is there.

hi guys,
i should know tonight if the deal i've offered will be accepted.
i've got my fingers crossed.
the engine #CE57 9440.
i come up with 392 4bbl 325hp 9.25:1comp. from a 57 imperial.
it was used in a pulling tractor.
the intake is a wiend 2x4 with offy adapters and straight pipe headers.
it has a bellhousing adapter with i believe a 727.
nothing is known about the internals and the engine is stuck.
the fella that owns it said it was free and turned over when he got it.
i'll let you know what happens.
longarm

71 Demonology,
i would turn that all original "53" into a
cool leadsled. clean it up, 3 deuces, wheels and be
the envy of all your friends. if its mostly all there you'd
have a fantastic start on a great car.

I'm curious to know how the bartering of the HEMI ends.. and the price that was nagotiated... :thumblef:

i'm now the owner of a new "57" hemi engine.
now i've got to find a way to get it out of a
field in a snow storm. this thing with trans. hanging
on it has to weigh 1000 lbs.
i might have to wait till spring thaw!!! :burnout: :sunny:

Roll it onto a scidplate and drag it all the way home while the ice and snow is on the ground.
congrads glad you got it, now get that puppy home before the mud and pavment show's up.
A grate info thread and I injoyed the pic and story :thumblef:

i put the motor on a stand when we got it home and my
brothers doug and bill couldn't resist.
they spray bombed it and added some extra parts.
i took their picture, it made me laugh. :drinkers:
oops:thats me and my bro doug
i'm the handsome one.

me 20.JPG

110.JPG

Glad you got the hemi home,
look's grate,and you guy's look like a happy crew. :thumblef:

great looking 392 :) very cool find, so whats next leave it as a display or build it?

-
Back