Hemi engine with motor plate

-

76Duster

Reaction score
I am installing a 5.7 in my 76 Duster. I am using a motor plate. The car had a slant six in it and it had spool mounts. The question I have is in regards to the placement of the engine side to side. Does it need to be 3 1/4 or 2 3/8 offset to the passenger side? Thanks, Mike

Everything I've read and seen says 3 1/4" to the passenger side. I had to shim my passenger side for clearance and mine is 3" offset, but I figure that is close enough.
Where are you getting your motor plate, and do you have a car cover on the hemi??
I am looking for a motor plate that will allow me to use a stock belt driven water pump on a car cover setup.

The motor plate is from aeicnc.com. It was designed to be used with a truck cover, with a lot of cutting to get it to fit, but you can't use any accessories and it has to be siliconed to seal the timing cover. I ordered it machined for a BBC water pump and low mount alternator. I am not going to be driving it on the street. If I was going to drive it on the street and have A/C, I would go a different route to mount the engine. Mike

The motor plate is from aeicnc.com. It was designed to be used with a truck cover, with a lot of cutting to get it to fit, but you can't use any accessories and it has to be siliconed to seal the timing cover. I ordered it machined for a BBC water pump and low mount alternator. I am not going to be driving it on the street. If I was going to drive it on the street and have A/C, I would go a different route to mount the engine. Mike
I'm trying to contact those guys to see if a motor plate can ONLY work with a truck cover. I have 2 car covers that I would trade for one truck cover if I could find someone so inclined.

I have a truck cover. It has been cut on with a plasma cutter, before I got it. He was trying to cut it to fit this type of motor plate. I will give it to you if you want it. Mike

I have a truck cover. It has been cut on with a plasma cutter, before I got it. He was trying to cut it to fit this type of motor plate. I will give it to you if you want it. Mike
If the motor plate fits it now, I would be glad to take it off your hands!
I would also be glad to bring you a car cover in trade, or I also have some stock 5.7 exhaust manifolds for a Challenger if you would like them instead, I need to get rid of some of this stuff i don't need because my shop is real small!
I could probably drive up there Saturday, I am in Liberty Hill, west of Georgetown, about 4 miles from Hwy 183.

The cover hasn't been completely cut for it, it still likes alot. You would have to cut a gasket or use silicone to seal to the plate. I cut mine with a cut-off wheel and a lot of trial fittings. You are welcome to it I don't need anything in trade for it, I have to much crap in my garage also. Mike

The cover hasn't been completely cut for it, it still likes alot. You would have to cut a gasket or use silicone to seal to the plate. I cut mine with a cut-off wheel and a lot of trial fittings. You are welcome to it I don't need anything in trade for it, I have to much crap in my garage also. Mike
I really appreciate that!
Let me check my ever-changing Saturday schedule and see if I can avoid the honey do list and make a trip up there.
I'll PM you.

Does anyone have pictures of the motor plate installed? Are you planning on using a mid plate?

I have it mounted to the engine, but not in car. I'm not planning to use a mid-plate. I am going to build a limiter braced off the transmission. The car came with a slant six. I may try to find a V-8 k-member and use motor mount adapters to locate the engine and plate in the car. I cannot get the headers to fit. It may well need to be raised more than I wanted it to be. Mike

I have it mounted to the engine, but not in car. I'm not planning to use a mid-plate. I am going to build a limiter braced off the transmission. The car came with a slant six. I may try to find a V-8 k-member and use motor mount adapters to locate the engine and plate in the car. I cannot get the headers to fit. It may well need to be raised more than I wanted it to be. Mike
I used TTI headers and they fit the motor and the A body well, but they are HARD to install! Only issue with them is that the driver's side one actually touches the side of the transmission (727) around the middle of the pan rail and I don't know if I can just stick a big cheater bar inside the collector and pry it away or not. I would also love to see pictures of that motor plate mounted to the 5.7.

Here are a few pictures. I bought the attachment hardware from AEI also. They have a better picture on their website. I still need to cut the pieces off the cover on top and the sides. My only issue is getting to the cam sensor if I need to. I may wind up cutting that part of the cover also. Mike

Attachments

• 20140323_110918.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 163
-
Back