Hemi experts, help identify!

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly buying a vintage Hemi engine, it's relatively complete, less water pump.
It's in rough shape, I don't even know if it's seized or not.
All I have to go by are a few pics from the sellers add and a stamped number...D502-63654 and "Red Ram" / "Dodge" valve covers.
By the mangled front end of the car, my best guess is it's from a '54 Dodge.

What CI would it be? 392ci, 354ci, 331 ?

Any help or pointers appreciated.
Thanks

Sorry no expert but in 54 I think the 2 V8 engins used were a 241 & 260 cid but I could be wrong, try and find a block or head casting #

Are you sure it's the original engine? If it is a '54 Dodge, it's a 241 hemi V8. But, I had thought the "Red Ram" terminology didn't come until '55, on a 270 ci non-hemi V8..

Pics of the car and engine would be helpful.

I can't say for sure whether or not the engine is the original one from the partial car I saw in the picture (the engine is not in the car), and I'm guessing it's a '54 due to the V8 emblem on the hood and the hood ornament, everything else is majorly bent outta shape, LOL.

The only pics I can get are from the add, and I can't save the pics, and I for sure don't want to post the add, I'm selfish that way.

I'll contact the seller and see if he can get me some pics also, I'm waiting for some other answers from him. IE: is it seized? what CI?...but I've already been waiting two days and no response.

I wouldn't pay much for it, theres several lately on craigslist Chicago 330ci somethings that keep getting relisted.

I wouldn't pay much for it, theres several lately on craigslist Chicago 330ci somethings that keep getting relisted.

And thier REALLY heavy...Really a novelty engine.Cool idea but needs the right car. I'd put it in an early dodge business coupe,lol!

This one is under $300., and it looks like the only thing missing is the water pump and exhaust manifolds.
That's why I'm curious. It would make a perfect engine for my '38 Dodge pickup.

d502-63654 seems to be a 1954 241dodge. the dodges and desoto hemis arent the greatest to choose from unless u find the tall deck versions, they just dont make many parts for them and they arent very powerful but are still cool and still are hemis. the chrysler hemis are the way to go just try and stay away from the extended block versions '51-'53 or '54 there heads dont flow that great and theres limited choices in trans adapters

the dodges and desoto hemis arent the greatest to choose from unless u find the tall deck versions, they just dont make many parts for them and they arent very powerful but are still cool and still are hemis. the chrysler hemis are the way to go just try and stay away from the extended block versions '51-'53 or '54

What exactly consists in making it an "extended block" ? Do you mean the bellhousing cast with block or ...?
I'm not really looking for HP, more so the look, but by the same token, parts availability need be factored in.

This one has "Dodge" and "Red Ram" embossed in the valve cover.

u have either a 241 or a 270 dodge hemi. as far as rebuildinga dodge u can get the bearings and rings and stuff like that but performance wise your limited. your cam would have to be reground and theres not many intakes available either. check out hotheads research and racing. an extended block chrysler has the bell housing cast into block. also keep in mind that the low deck 241 and 270 dodges are alot smaller in diameter than the chryslers and desotos so installing it into a car would be easier

if it runs good i say go for it. try hot heads have trans adpaters and electronic ignition conversions, headers and i think a 4bbl intake and like i said above they are alot smaller in diameter

-
Back