-
Status
Not open for further replies.

72demon440

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
My dad's neighbor has a 60's hemi for sale. I don't know all the details but I have some pictures. I can't get more information. I thought it came out of a chrysler imperial. He is asking 800.00 and it is located in janesville wi. He bought it to put it in his mayfair. It is all together. I will get more information if needed.

You are probably right. I thought he said it was a 352 or 33? Or
something. I will try to load pics from the pc when I get home.

The 331, 354 and 392 were all three made until 1959. Passenger car production ceased for the 331 in 1956, for the 354 in 1957 and the 392 in 1958. All three engines continued to 1959 for trucks.

Is there problem with the website? I keep getting errors with picture uploads and it is not because of the file size?

Is there problem with the website? I keep getting errors with picture uploads and it is not because of the file size?

I get the same thing and haven't been able to post pics from my phone for a couple months now!! Maddening!!!!.....

Found out that it is a 1953 331 2 barrel carb with the bellhousing that is part of the block. Sounds like 2 of the cylinders may need to be sleeved? Looks like he wants 700 or best offer. I don't know what it is worth. I would have liked it if it didn't have the bell on it. I will get a picture on if it will let me. Old hemis are so cool looking. I think it would be cool to have in the garage just for a conversation piece!

Well......and I am not bashing here, simply pointing out facts. So here they are. The 51-53 331s were the least desirable of the early Chrysler Hemis. Here are the reasons.

First, as you have already pointed out, they have integral bellhousings cast as part of the block. This limits what the engines can be put into, as you need more area at the back of the engine to accommodate the cast in bellhousing, as it is not shaped like a conventional bellhousing. There was a kit with instructions offered that allowed you to cut the cast in bellhousing off and drill and tap the back of the block to turn it into a conventional bellhousing. That was however, a very tedious job and required a perfect cut. PITA to say the least unless you solicited the services of a machine shop which could be costly.

Secondly, the 51-53 Chrysler 331 heads are the absolute worst in terms of flow. They have tiny round exhaust ports as opposed to the later style much larger oval exhaust ports found on the 54 and up 331, 354 and the later 392.

Both those things said, here's the good news. It's STILL an early Hemi. An early CHRYSLER Hemi. They were the most desirable of all of the early Hemis......even with the two shortcomings mentioned. It's still a Hemi. Those "worst" flowing heads still outflow most other OHV heads of the era, plus the engine still has the Hemi look that cannot be beat. I think your dad's neighbor is right on the mark with his price. I would not go much under that, because as I said, it is still a Hemi.

Oh and even with the block needing sleeves, it's still a good deal. As long as it has no unrepairable cracks elsewhere and the sleeves will fix it, it will be fine.

I get the same thing and haven't been able to post pics from my phone for a couple months now!! Maddening!!!!.....

Hmm, seems I can upload photos from my phone with no issue whatsoever.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 968
I think he thought it it needed to be sleeved because of some rust in the cylinder and not because of any cracks. Any comments are welcome. I also know it would need plenty of money to be put into it to get some thing worth while. I love the look of a hemi. I know the guy that it was bought from and he had another hemi that did not have an integral bell that I would have liked to put in my Demon. He had that one rebuilt and was going to use that one!

I forgot one thing. It will likely not need sleeves. Most of the 331 engines will safely bore to the 354 STD bore size with room to spare. That's .125" over. I know. It sounds stupid, but it's true. Of course to be sure, it would still need sonic testing. Some of them can even bore safely to the 4.00" 392 bore size. That's .187" over. LMAO. Those thicker cast blocks were referred to as "extended service blocks". The idea was to run them for a very long time.

I will have to see if I have a picture of the bell. It is my dads neighbor and I don't get over there very often. I can see if he could send me a picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back