Hemi Hood Scoop

-

ronw

Reaction score
I have a bolt -on Hemi Hood Scoop and I'm getting the hood ready to cut a hole in the hood for Carb filter clearance and I'm wondering if there is a correct placement for the scoop. I'm sure it needs centering but is there a common distance from the rear of the hood? What does everyone do when they install the scoop and what size filter is most common to use? It's a 540 cu.in. with a 1050 Holley on a Indy Max Wedge intake. Thanks Ron

What car is it on? My 68 Dart is a 1/2 inch too far forward and any filter over 2 inches tall won't clear. I'll try to measure the rear distance tonight

Forgot to say, It's a 68 Dart
I think its 3" from the back, I will check mine later.

ss.jpg

mason dixon 1.JPG

Measure where the carb center is in relation to the rear and sides of the hood. Add the diameter of your desired air cleaner and that will tell you where to place the center of the scoop.

Measure where the carb center is in relation to the rear and sides of the hood. Add the diameter of your desired air cleaner and that will tell you where to place the center of the scoop.
Thanks to all. Ron

Don't forget the engine is offset to the passenger side when you cut the hole in the hood
Yes, My measurements show this. I plan on cutting a smaller hloe to see if my center measurements are correct, then go out to the size of my air cleaner. Keeping fingers crossed.

It's easy to find the center of carb to hood. Install too long of a air cleaner stud and slam the hood! :eek: Not on purpose, but is how i did it:BangHead::D

doesn't get any easier than cudafever's plan .
Great news! the hole is cut and it's perfect for the carb (Holley 1050). The bad news is that the bowl vents are only a 1/8" from the top of the scoop. Tomorrow I guess I'll be looking for another Hemi scoop that measures 4" at the rear and 6" at the front. The scoop I have measures 2"At the rear and 4" at the front. The only other solution is to remove the 2" spacer under the carb(1050). Anyone else have the same problem? The 450 has elephant ears instead of engine mounts.

-
Back