hemi information

-
Looks like a 330 Desoto Hemi to me. Early Hemis were true hemis from the drawing board, then they made the car to fit the Hemi. The 426 Hemi valve angles? and valve train was shifted toward the center of the engine to fit the car. Chambers are hemi in both. They are not half a sphere but spherical cut to leave as small a chamber and still get the valves inside the chamber.

Looks like a '54 331....last year for the breather in the timing cover iirc and first year of the short bellhousing. A few early '55's had the same breather deal.

Mine had the timing cover breather and is a 56, but it's also a truck engine and that changes thAngs a little bit.

So, tell me what is egg shaped , it is a tall block and dam sure don't have egg shaped combustion chambers , way deeper and more hemispherical than any before it , even the old gen 1 hemi`s.
RRR that's the part I`m not understanding , flatter combustion chambers are closer to a wedge than deeper ones , that's why Hoover and the boys designed them that way .

I caint remember where it was I read it, but it was a pretty in depth article on it. Talked about the early engines (Chrysler) had better valve angles and port configurations and such. I've been trying to find it forever.

426's are a real Hemi chamber. Gen3's have a quench pad on the early versions and an oval chamber '09 and later.

This came from alpar.

Unlike earlier performance engines, the Street Hemi came down the line complete with exhaust manifolds; the Cross-Ram engines had to have their manifolds fitted later. The combustion chamber had been tilted to prevent the exhaust rocker from being too long, resulting in a narrower engine, so they could do a standard bodydrop in the Dodge Main factory.

As I said earlier I read this 50 years ago. Many may remember this was before Alpar and the internet.

Sure looks like a Hemi to me...
426 hemi heads.jpg

This came from alpar.

Unlike earlier performance engines, the Street Hemi came down the line complete with exhaust manifolds; the Cross-Ram engines had to have their manifolds fitted later. The combustion chamber had been tilted to prevent the exhaust rocker from being too long, resulting in a narrower engine, so they could do a standard bodydrop in the Dodge Main factory.

As I said earlier I read this 50 years ago. Many may remember this was before Alpar and the internet.
You are forgiven... Tilted but not squished... my memory has gone to crap, too. I still say I was good looking 50 years ago then I see the photos!

-
Back