Hemi k frame? Gurus true or false!

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
Hey all, my buddy got a k frame with the purchase of a barracuda. The guy said it was a hemi k a body k frame. Not sure if I believe that one, I'm not keen on what to verify. Can any gurus help me out. Thanks. Tom
IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

looks to me like a 73-6 V8 A body K frame .....not HEMI stuff but a nice K frame to have anyways, great for BB swapping (with modification)

Yea by the spool mounts it is later, what markings make a hemi k? I have read about a skid plate or something to that affect...

Since it is a spool mount K-member
Since they were not used until 1973 -up
Since a BB was never put in an A-body after 1969 by Ma Mopar
Since we know all of this, it can not be a BB K-member

Yea by the spool mounts it is later, what markings make a hemi k? I have read about a skid plate or something to that affect...

I know skid plates exist on HEMI k -frames for B-bodies 68-71

there would be no such thing as a HEMI K frame after 73 for an A-body

This K-frame can be made to fit a BB but as I said in last post...(with modification). You would have to cut the perches off and relocate them for use with a BB, not terribly hard because even I have done it before but still some labor involved.

They did have BB spool mount K frames available from Direct Connection made to bolt a bb to without modification but this is not one.

I do have a spool mount K-member that a friend of mine and a creative fabricator , modified that can be used for SB or BB. I forget the exact numbers but I think it is 1" difference on the passenger side and 1/2" on the drivers side. Well he made the spool mounts adjustable so that it can be used for SB or BB.

I do have a spool mount K-member that a friend of mine and a creative fabricator , modified that can be used for SB or BB. I forget the exact numbers but I think it is 1" difference on the passenger side and 1/2" on the drivers side. Well he made the spool mounts adjustable so that it can be used for SB or BB.

that is creative to make them adjustable ....I have cut re-welded them before, for BB use but there was no going back to SB once I welded the heck out of it.

on this one, I had to a ton of trimming right behind the steering gear box mount.

I have done this a few times and I have found that no two K -frames are exactly the same.

Its a bit of labor to modify them for big blocks ....plan on a weekend of work. I measured across the perches before I cut anything ...I think it was like 18 center to center across which is the going to be the same with SB and BB

The trimming and test fitting took the longest

CIMG9796.JPG

CIMG9821.JPG

CIMG9833.JPG

CIMG9831.JPG

What he did was cut the ears off, then took the ears and welded them to a plate. He then fabbed another piece of plate and welded it to where he just cut the ears. He then drilled holes in the ear/plate section and the k-member plate in such a way that in one possition they were used for a SB app. unbolt them,turn them around and bolt them back down and they now are for a BB.

Hey all, my buddy got a k frame with the purchase of a barracuda. The guy said it was a hemi k a body k frame. Not sure if I believe that one, I'm not keen on what to verify. Can any gurus help me out. Thanks. Tom

Yeah that's a stock small block V8 K frame for 73+ cars. Definitely not hemi, not even big block.

They did have BB spool mount K frames available from Direct Connection made to bolt a bb to without modification but this is not one.

Yes and yes. There are BB spool mount K's out there from Direct Connection, but that definitely isn't one of them either.

Jim Lusk wrote an article on how to make your own DC K frame from a spool mount small block K, there's still a bunch of info and pictures at big block dart.

Make Your Own DC-K Frame

I know skid plates exist on HEMI k -frames for B-bodies 68-71

there would be no such thing as a HEMI K frame after 73 for an A-body

This K-frame can be made to fit a BB but as I said in last post...(with modification). You would have to cut the perches off and relocate them for use with a BB, not terribly hard because even I have done it before but still some labor involved.

this^

For sure not a hemi. 73 and newer k frame, without measuring it it could be several diff. Ones

Nope. It's a 73+ small block V8 K as already stated, and there's only one kind of those. The /6 is visibly different because of the engine mounts. Same with the BB DC-K frame. No measurements needed, they look very different at the engine mounts.

Couldent be used for a hemi either as the block had different mounting ears on it than a big block. Something could be custom made to fit, but but i think Hemis in A bodys used "elephant ears"

This ^^^^

-
Back