Hemi swap wiring

-

Ozyduster

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with the Holley Terminator X. Thoughts?
As a rebuilt 6.4, forged rods, hellcat lifters and oil pump, stock heads with mild cam etc. Has come up for sale with a Terminator x at a very good price.

Any down falls to the terminator over using standard computer and patch looms etc.

Not an expert but here are some thoughts.

The ‘14 and older OEM computers don’t do any fan controls, but the ‘15+ can control a single fan. I am sure the Terminator does fan control, probably even dual fans.

Not sure how easy a Terminator works with an SGE trans controller, if that is important. Might check with them if you are doing an A8.

Terminator does all the standard stuff like SRV and VVT, but might be able to run some kind of a traction control. Something to look into.

Base setup will be easier with OEM, but depending on how far you go, the Terminator might be easier to deal with.

No SKIM on the Terminator. And starter signal setup can be an issue with the OEM controller.

OEM computer probably gets the nod for reliability. Not that I hear of many people having issues with the Terminator.

And a real outlier option, the Terminator probably will never have the option for cruise control. :D Not that I have heard of anyone make the OEM cruise control work. Hotwire Auto sells a kit that works on the stock PCM, but it’s not the PCM that is doing it. Not that many care about CC.

I should add that I want cruise control and am working to get the PCM setup function at some point. Only reason I bring it up.

Not an expert but here are some thoughts.

The ‘14 and older OEM computers don’t do any fan controls, but the ‘15+ can control a single fan. I am sure the Terminator does fan control, probably even dual fans.

Not sure how easy a Terminator works with an SGE trans controller, if that is important. Might check with them if you are doing an A8.

Terminator does all the standard stuff like SRV and VVT, but might be able to run some kind of a traction control. Something to look into.

Base setup will be easier with OEM, but depending on how far you go, the Terminator might be easier to deal with.

No SKIM on the Terminator. And starter signal setup can be an issue with the OEM controller.

OEM computer probably gets the nod for reliability. Not that I hear of many people having issues with the Terminator.

And a real outlier option, the Terminator probably will never have the option for cruise control. :D Not that I have heard of anyone make the OEM cruise control work. Hotwire Auto sells a kit that works on the stock PCM, but it’s not the PCM that is doing it. Not that many care about CC.
Cheers for the information, yea main reason i ask is there is a hemi for sale near me with the terminator x. Looked appealing as you use cable throttle and pretty simple plug and play, as ill be using 904 anyway. Cruise would be easy to set up as could retro fit a late 90s Holden one that are push pull style unit that simply hook up to throttle. Not that ill need it.
Not sure what the best engine loom would be to buy as see lot of mixed reviews. Terminator x good for 650 hp and only shooting for 550

Cheers for the information, yea main reason i ask is there is a hemi for sale near me with the terminator x. Looked appealing as you use cable throttle and pretty simple plug and play, as ill be using 904 anyway. Cruise would be easy to set up as could retro fit a late 90s Holden one that are push pull style unit that simply hook up to throttle. Not that ill need it.
Not sure what the best engine loom would be to buy as see lot of mixed reviews. Terminator x good for 650 hp and only shooting for 550

I forgot about the option to run a cable style TB with the Terminator. Can’t do that with the OEM computer. A cable style TB would be easier with the 904 as it needs a kick down setup of some type unless you run a full manual VB. But not impossible with the drive by wire TB either.

When you say “best engine loom” do you mean the harness or the covering over the harness?

I forgot about the option to run a cable style TB with the Terminator. Can’t do that with the OEM computer. A cable style TB would be easier with the 904 as it needs a kick down setup of some type unless you run a full manual VB. But not impossible with the drive by wire TB either.

When you say “best engine loom” do you mean the harness or the covering over the harness?
Sorry i mean harness in australia call it a loom as well lol

Sorry i mean harness in australia call it a loom as well lol

That was my guess but wanted to be sure.

The only source for a swap harness using a stock PCM that I would suggest you AVOID is Swap Specialties. Multiple threads on here about issues with them.

Far as I know, Holley is the only source for a Terminator harness. Be advised that it takes multiple harnesses from them, not just a single one like the OEM computer.

That was my guess but wanted to be sure.

The only source for a swap harness using a stock PCM that I would suggest you AVOID is Swap Specialties. Multiple threads on here about issues with them.

Far as I know, Holley is the only source for a Terminator harness. Be advised that it takes multiple harnesses from them, not just a single one like the OEM computer.
Yea the Swap specialty looked great until read all the posts on here haha as looks like a neat set up. The terminator looks to have quite a bit of wiring due to the multiple harnesses. However guaranteed it works as long as you hook it up right.
Any companies you recomend with the stock computer? Done a bit of research on the Sublime system that looks to be ok, i just want super simple as running the 904 and want it to be neat

Any companies you recomend with the stock computer? Done a bit of research on the Sublime system that looks to be ok, i just want super simple as running the 904 and want it to be neat

Honestly the only ones I know of are Hotwire Auto and Sublime.

I know Hotwire sets their harness up to poke through a hole in the firewall and hide the PCM. Generally they use a '10-'12 or so NGC controller. I know you can get a harness and PCM from them all at once and they will work with you, but I think they are 8 or so weeks out, too.

Sublime can probably do any setup too, but they are a little more on the side of a stock harness with some mods which generally means the PCM is under the hood. But they can sell a harness and PCM as a set, too. And it seems like they are more on the end with the later GPEC2 controller.

Honestly the only ones I know of are Hotwire Auto and Sublime.

I know Hotwire sets their harness up to poke through a hole in the firewall and hide the PCM. Generally they use a '10-'12 or so NGC controller. I know you can get a harness and PCM from them all at once and they will work with you, but I think they are 8 or so weeks out, too.

Sublime can probably do any setup too, but they are a little more on the side of a stock harness with some mods which generally means the PCM is under the hood. But they can sell a harness and PCM as a set, too. And it seems like they are more on the end with the later GPEC2 controller.
Yep thats what i have noticed the hotwire can be ordered in several lengths etc. I think they also have to hack the computer, guessing they dont lock it so can still tune it for big stick etc. As i want around the 550hp mark. Low ten street able car is what i am aiming for. Budget isnt really a worry, as already very deep in money wise so thought do it once do it right. Duster in australia thats uper clean and big motor worth towards 100k

I'd put Holley drop-on harness quality a notch below OE. If I happened to get a deal on an engine that included one of their harnesses, I'd use it. But if I needed to build a harness from scratch for a project, here is what I'd do differently. Holley harnesses are definitely built to a price, and there are things you may find are worth spending extra for.

1. They use split convolute loom. I'm not sure if it's basic low temp stuff that will be crunchy and crumbly in a few years or if they've gone with higher temp, which is usually indicated by a gray stripe. I would use Techflex F6 for a basic street wiring harness - I once accidentally set an F6 wrapped harness on fire, and couldn't find the damage after the fire burned out.

2. I would use heat shrink tubing with cable ties to join sections of loom, instead of electrical tape. Looks better and holds up better.

3. Instead of unsealed relay sockets, I would use a sealed relay / fuse module like the Eaton RTRM series.

4. I'm not sure if they are using genuine OEM connectors or cheap knock-offs, but from their price point I would suspect they're cutting corners here. Real OE connectors have a pretty noticeable edge in fitment and the quality of crimps; I wouldn't cut corners there.

I haven't heard of Holley cutting corners in ways that are actually scary, like using cheap wire that melts from underhood heat. I'd call the Terminator harness an adequate harness that is built to a price.

I'd put Holley drop-on harness quality a notch below OE. If I happened to get a deal on an engine that included one of their harnesses, I'd use it. But if I needed to build a harness from scratch for a project, here is what I'd do differently. Holley harnesses are definitely built to a price, and there are things you may find are worth spending extra for.

1. They use split convolute loom. I'm not sure if it's basic low temp stuff that will be crunchy and crumbly in a few years or if they've gone with higher temp, which is usually indicated by a gray stripe. I would use Techflex F6 for a basic street wiring harness - I once accidentally set an F6 wrapped harness on fire, and couldn't find the damage after the fire burned out.

2. I would use heat shrink tubing with cable ties to join sections of loom, instead of electrical tape. Looks better and holds up better.

3. Instead of unsealed relay sockets, I would use a sealed relay / fuse module like the Eaton RTRM series.

4. I'm not sure if they are using genuine OEM connectors or cheap knock-offs, but from their price point I would suspect they're cutting corners here. Real OE connectors have a pretty noticeable edge in fitment and the quality of crimps; I wouldn't cut corners there.

I haven't heard of Holley cutting corners in ways that are actually scary, like using cheap wire that melts from underhood heat. I'd call the Terminator harness an adequate harness that is built to a price.
Thanks mate really appreciate the feedback, ill get the harness to my mate to re cover etc. I have all rebuilt original looms that he is doin the same to as had a 71 built for my 74 to delete the seat belt isolator. My friend will help/do the wiring side of it, he currently just did a lsa swap into a Holden 95 model commodore all hidden wiring and fuse box in the glove box etc. Otherwise wouldn't attempt it haha.

-
Back