Hemi/tr6060 oil pan?

-

ghinmi

Reaction score
Just recieved my 5.7/tr6060 combo today out of a 2010 Challenger. For my application I'll probably need the truck style rear sump pan. The Challenger oil pan is pretty substantial cast aluminum and bolts to the bellhousing along the bottom as well. Do I just swap to the truck stamped steel pan and leave the bottom of the bellhousing open? Or am I missing something here?

Kind of a hodge podge of a hot rod. It's a shortened 2wd '71 chevy truck chassis with an '83 Cherokee body on it.

Yeah, it's a little bit of an off-the-wall application. Just to spread things out between all the domestics, it's got a Ford 9" floater rear axle lol.

I probably wouldn't leave the bellhousing open if there's anything you can do about it. Might consider making a sheet metal block off plate like an old fashioned bellhousing. Would help to keep water and stuff out of the clutch.

I think this may be what I'm after. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-71161 Come to think of it, maybe I should just go and look underneath my '12 Ram and see what that uses.

I'm picking up a truck pan after work. Will probably end up cutting it up and reworking it for my application.

There is a cast aluminum bracket on the Ram's that tie the engine and trans together.

There is a cast aluminum bracket on the Ram's that tie the engine and trans together.

By chance would you know if the Grand Cherokee oil pan bolts to the bellhousing? Looking for a better way to bolt up the Quicktime...

Attachments

• oilpan61alumrearsump.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 427
  • hemi oilpan.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 370
Hmm... I like that pan. There's some for $90.99 on ebay right now. Anyone know if it bolts up?

Check your local junkyards with car-part.com They are selling for as low as $35 in my area...

I have fitted a truck pan to my engine, but it leaves the whole bottom half of transmission unsupported. The Jeep pan looks like it might bolt right to the bell like the car pan did but I have not been able to verify it yet.

Here is a pic of the bracket.

Attachments

• A242G.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 340
I had to do a little grinding as well to fit around my Weldtech pan and TTI headers.

I took that bracket, cut the center section out of it and am using the end pieces as support gussets with my MP scatter shield. The scatter shield has a block plate which seals off the flywheel / clutch. Works good...

Being in Australia I don't have access to that truck bracket without buying it and then adding in the cost of shipping etc, it's probably just easier to make some up.

I considered cutting down the car style oil pan but once you do that there would be no real structural integrity left.

Car oil pan

-
Back