Hemi with Hydraboost?

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Lots of reading and people say it's not possible. I'm not sure I want to run non-power brakes with the Wilwood Dynalites.

What is everyone else using for brakes (complete systems)?

Does anyone have pictures of a Hydraboost setup with a Hemi installed? I want to know what it takes as I like the idea of some assist.

Riddler

That is not a hydroboost setup.

x2 thats just a regular 'ol vacuum booster.

riddler, i know you have a gen lll and alterk, which should make it pretty easy???? i have a small block and alterk, i will be using hydraboost as well. heres the only pic i have for now...maybe this will help?

IMG_2827.jpg

how much wider is the gen lll hemi compared to the smallblock? what power steering pump and bracketry are you using for the power rack unit? is it fitment issues you are worried about? what side of the engine does the steering pump bolt on to on the new hemi's?

Mopardude...where did you get that firewall mount? Junkyard Hydroboost or something like Vanco?

how much wider is the gen lll hemi compared to the smallblock? what power steering pump and bracketry are you using for the power rack unit? is it fitment issues you are worried about? what side of the engine does the steering pump bolt on to on the new hemi's?

I have a magnum engine sitting outback and a 5.7 in storage. I will measure them both and get back to you on that. I think the ps pump is on drivers side.

It is very possible. Not sure where you are reading that. We just finished up a 6.1 with a hyroboost system. All you need is a good power steering pump. Sorry dont have any pictures with me.

It is very possible. Not sure where you are reading that. We just finished up a 6.1 with a hyroboost system. All you need is a good power steering pump. Sorry dont have any pictures with me.

Will the factory hemi PS pump work? Even if you run manual steer? I would like to see your setup, might be something I could do.

I was told hydroboost with the 3G hemi in an A body will not work without a bracket to offset the system up. I spoke with the two main companies that do the kits. One said not possible in an a body hemi, and Tallon Hydraulics did one with an offset aluminum bracket not long ago. Price was gonna be $700ish with everything.

You can make a hydraboost work with a 5.7 / 6.1 Hemi but it requires some modification as the width of the hemi interferes with the standard hydroboost mount.

I contacts Bill Reilly at RMS and asked him if / how it is done. Here is his reply:

You have to take the mounting plate off and grind out the keyway, then rotate the unit until it clears the engine and retighten the plate. This requires a special tool with the mopar-specific one. Then you make an adapter for the mastercylinder so it mounts straight up, and add a spacer in the master the same thickness as the adapter you make, so the pushrod seats fully.

There is a shortcut now though. The universal-mount version can be easily rotated on it's steel mounting plate, so you only have to contend with the master cylinder rotation. However, the plate has to be drilled and trimmed for your firewall. It would save you from buying the GM Service tool to remove the plate at least.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

That's interesting. The one that told me it couldn't be done was hydratech, who is Reilly's supplier, and has kits for B and E body mopars.

I do know that talon and hydratech units are clocked 180 degrees opposite each other. Not sure what 90 degrees would do though.

I don't know which kit Reilly uses, his webpage simply calls the product Hydroboost. My guess, and it's simply a guess, is that supplier doesn't want to mess around telling you how to modify it, for it to work. After all if you mess it up you'll blame them. They'd rather lose the sale then risk an irate customer.

Reilly clear states that it won't work with either a 426 Hemi or 5.7 Hemi without modification. Since Reilly promotes big block and hemi power, he is inclined to work a little harder to make them work.

Here's a link to Reilly's Hydroboost product for an A-body.

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16196&cat=273&page=1

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Hydratech suggested under dash as the option- we talked for over 20 minutes. He supplies for Reilly's and CPP. I would call him an expert on the subject. That being said, talon was cheaper. Both were much cheaper than CPP and Reilly's.

I'll be the guinea pig if someone wants to help direct me on parts to piece a kit together. I did figure out a GM unit is the right way to go, but was recommended against used or "eBay new" from both dealers. Not sure if that was a sales tactic though.

If I can do it for ~$200-300, I'll do it for sure.

Isn't the basic hydroboost used on some GM trucks? Are you thinking of finding one of these and making the appropriate bracket to make it work on your project?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I've read that Talon makes the bracket that works with the GM hydroboost. These can be sourced from vans to trucks. After you have the unit mounted all thats left is simply plumbing for it.

I'm trying to find out what's needed to be done to use this with a Hemi. I'll have to speak with Bill at RMS.

For guys like me that are still in mockup can't I just weld the old holes and redrill for the hydroboost over to the driver's side more. Giving me the room the I need?

Riddler

I am interested in what everyone works out. One thing that is important to me is pedal feel. I am worried that you will get no feedback with these systems. Our Land Cruiser has hydroboost and I do not like the brake pedal feel at all. I have been leaning more towards a modern brake booster from Audi, Nissan, Subaru or the like, to get the pedal feel I am looking for.

I've heard the GM unit from the Astro Van works, but we have very little room. The ones we have seen are moved over towards the drivers side, tied of modifying. What will the Wilwood discs be like as manual? The '70 SRT8 on Modern Muscles site was manual.

-
Back