Here we go again

-

66dartman

Reaction score
Anyone out there who doesn't live in Colorado consider yourself lucky! We are have our second big blizzard in one week. I have lived in other places, but the blizzards out here are nasty and these public works people don't know how to deal with snow. At least I took the last week of the year off.
We are expecting ANOTHER 24-30" of snow by Sunday on top of the 30" from last Thursday.

How do you move that much snow!!!.That is a hellava lot of it'Wow. :coffee2:
got any pic's?
the worst I ever had to deal with was in 77 I beleave.
leaving chicogo south on 55 hwy, they closed the hwy and sent me back for three day's..But it did not snow 4' in a week. sorry to here that you took vacation time ' :sad:
yall be carefull up there.
This would be good on Oldvart's How's the weather thread.

snow

snow1.jpg

memike said:
How do you move that much snow!!!.That is a hellava lot of it'Wow. :coffee2:
got any pic's?
the worst I ever had to deal with was in 77 I beleave.
leaving chicogo south on 55 hwy, they closed the hwy and sent me back for three day's..But it did not snow 4' in a week. sorry to here that you took vacation time ' :sad:
yall be carefull up there.
This would be good on Oldvart's How's the weather thread.

Mike,

I'm originally from Chicago and I remember that storm! Of course I was about 12 when that storm hit. It was pretty cool to stand in the middle of Lincoln Ave. (major throughfare) and not see or hear a soul! I felt like Omega Man (remember that movie anyone?).

Anyway, the snow melts relatively fast here in Colorado, but we could really see 4' in the backyard. I measured 32" in the low spots last week with 4'+ drifts. I'm waiting on a phone call right now to see if I'm expected at work. The big boss was complaining that I made it in last Fri. and no one else did. But not everyone has a 4WD and spent 4 hours digging themselves out last Thurs. Nor does everyone have the winter driving skills I honed living up north. When we were 16, my buddies and I all used to have $100 beaters that we would take into the local Church parking lot (It was huge and had no light poles!) and play for an hour or so in the snow. The cops never gave us a problem back then, but today we'd probably all end up in jail. Also, when I took drivers ed in high school @ 15 yrs of age, they used to spray down the lot in a fenced off area, wait for it to freeze and teach us "defensive driving". I'm sure they would consider it child abuse now, but dang it was fun! Oh yeah, my Dad taught me how to drive when I was 12 as my Mom had a bad heart and he needed to know that I could get her to the hospital if anything happened when we were up at the cabin in northern wisconsin.

Here's another pic from last week. That fence in the background is over 3' tall!

carsdrift.JPG

Guys, I'm sorry to hear you're getting hit hard again. I don't care if it's Alberta or Colorado, or anywhere else, that a lot of damned snow. Good luck, and either stay home until the roads are cleared somewhat, or drive very carefully if you must venture out into the elements.

The Duster won't be seeing any miles for awhile at least, that's for sure. Unfortunately I'm in what is considered a mission essential position, so getting to work is not optional under just about any circumstances short of being deathly ill. I'm part of a small 7 man crew that flys the Ikonos imaging satellite and the dang little spacefaring robot just keeps going around and around the planet not caring what happens down here on the surface. Last week they had us stay in the hotel next door. Yesterday the boss called and wanted me to come in and stay in the hotel "just in case." I politely declined and made my way in as normal with minimal issues in the 4x4 pickup. No prob.

The ski resorts must be in heaven. Two storms over the holidays usually means $$$ to them. Even with the roads in such poor condition skiers always find a way to get to the slopes. My cousin is a state strooper, he must be just dead *** tired after all this. Is the airport still open? I heard that Denver has 90 snowplows in the city but 40 of them broke during the last storm. Any update on that?

Airport is still open but many flights are cancelled. Snowplows are all out, my 4x4 got out no sweat this morning, but the boss called and said don't kill yourself getting in today, so I turned around. I work in our Network Operations Center, so we have remote access and we put all our home phones in the hunt group. Business as usual, just not at work! Plus, no ones looking over my shoulder so I can fart around on this site! :toothy7:

I know how you feel. I live out east of Denver. The wind picked up last nite and driffted over every thing that I had dug out from last weeks storm.

Funny thing is that Denver has more snow than the mountains. I went over to Rifle Wednesday and the roads were dry and both passes were in great shape. The western slope has missed all the snow.

-
Back