Here we go again...

-

Dcudaboy

Reaction score
Back in sept. I had an issue with the mysterious " engine no spark for no apparent reason". Then as if by magic it would go away. Thanks to some good advice from 67Dart273 and trailbeast I seemed to have remedied the problem, but now it's back with a vengence.
This is what happens. I let the car sit and it cranks no spark. I can do absolutely nothing and the next day it will start right off. and as long as I start it every day or so it's fine, but if I let it sit for even a week, it will quit on me and I'll play hell getting it running again. Its a solid state system and I'm begining to think there is something wrong with the distributor, I have checked the reluctor gap and it is good. Half tempted to put the old "dual point" back in it to see if I can get it to fire off. If yer reading 67Dart273, could run me by your diagnosis again and I'll get my meter out and see if I can get this thing to run, thx or anybody else got ideas???
F.Y.I. bought a 64 Dart GT with a factory 4 speed for the wife to play with, pics coming soon...

I'm not familiar with your car, but you mentioned "reluctor" so I'm assuming you have an electronic ignition. I had a similar problem with my old 72 Fury. I ran a few test with an old style engine analyzer, and after running the test three times I got the same results. It was the magnetic Pick up coil in the distributor. I replaced it (at the time they were about $15.00), and the problem disappeared. Had the car for 5 years after that, no problem.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

Thanks I'll check it out, yes it's electronic, do you know how to test the pickup? By the way nice axes, I've got 4 Fenders from 1972 thru 76 and a Mike Tobias custom 5 string...

Eureka!! I've found it (I think). Dirty connectors and two loose wires on the firewall wiring harness. I carefully removed the pins (you can squeeze them with a pair of bent needle nose and pull them out from the outer side) and wire brushed them, they were pretty bad, two on the lower harness were barely plugged in if at all. At any rate viola!! So far so good, and a great F.Y.I. to anybody who might be having electrical problems. Clean them pins, and the sockets as well. Thanks for the help Frankie, keep playin them bass guitars... THE FISH FLIES ONCE AGAIN...

-
Back