Here we go

-

ColoMopar

Reaction score
Just picked up my high school dream car, a 70 Duster. It needs lot of TLC and I doubt I'll actually get to do any work on it for a few months because I've got to put together the wife's 69 Bug first. But I have lots of time to plan and ask all of your advice.

Here's what I know so far;
1) It will have a 5.7 Hemi, I know this because I've already got it. Infact I have the entire drive train and chassis from a 2004 Durango 4WD (from a project that I've decided against, had to do with a 1950 B2B)
2) It will have an Alterkations coil over front end
3) I will also use their rear end suspension setup as well

Here's what I don't know yet:
1) What Tranny I will use, 727, 904, 4 speed, or the 545 that is in the Durango
2) Here's the biggie (I've read "Let's be honest") do I really want to mess with EFI or go with Carbs. Not worried about fuel economy and I thought dual carbs looked pretty cool. Somewhere between "old School" and new. I should be able to get plenty of power from that 5.7 either way.
3) Would like buckets and four (or 5) speed but also like consule, any options?
4) What color? I'm thinking Orange
5) I wonder if I'll ever find a good Sharktooth Grille

Lot of those questions are preference, but as far as EFI to carbs...I know there are some who like carbs better but...IMO...it's removing one of the best features of the 5.7L. I did the stock fuel injection on mine because I wanted supreme driveability in all temps and weather, that "get home from work, hop in the car, fire it up, and it will always run well if it's -10 or 110" mentality. I could ramble on for probably hours about why I'd keep the EFI, but it all depends what you want to do with it. EFI is not a cheap way to do it, but IMO is the better fuel delivery system.

Thanks Stacked, I get that and am really torn. Sometimes I think the best of all worlds would come together if I put the late model tranny in it too. I am just not sure of my fabrication abilities to make all of the modifications required. It looks like costs would be similar either way when done right so that isn't too much of a factor. Big $$$ whichever way I go, probably a little more for EFI. That's the cool thing about not being able to start right away, lots of time to think it over.

What got me started on all of this was a 49 1/2 ton Ford PU at a show that when you opened the hood you saw a complete 5.7 Hemi as you would if you opened the hood of a Durango. VERY COOL! I found the Durango cut it up, found a 1950 Dodge PU and was ready to make the merge but later had been convinced to keep the truck original.

So now I have all of that and a buildable 1970 Duster. Just gotta figure it out.

go EFI, don't like the thoughts of all the wires? the the spark controler (I believe its MSD?) for a carburated hemi swap, run a 727 or if you like OD get a A-518 and control it with a toggle swith or the pressure switch kit you can get (no trans computer needed) the get the 4 barrel intake then put an ez-EFI 4 barrel EFI system, only requires something like 4 wires to run it and don't need special tunes or a laptop

I'm putting a 5.7 Hemi in my 70 Duster also, and I had a 70 Duster in high school. Talk about 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon....lol. I'm going to use a 545RFE out of an 07 Hemi Durango. If you want to use that 545 that you have in the 4WD Durango, you can buy a tailshaft housing from Street & Performance to convert it to a slip yoke. All you have to do is unbolt the transfer case, and bolt the tailshaft housing on. Good luck with your Duster, and Orange sounds good. I'm gonna paint mine Limelight Green, with a black vinyl top. \\:D/

you can buy a tailshaft housing from Street & Performance to convert it to a slip yoke. All you have to do is unbolt the transfer case, and bolt the tailshaft housing on.

A cheaper route is to find the tailshaft from a salvage yard on a trans that is broken or damaged elsewhere. I traded my transfer case for the tailhousing or if you want to go to the trouble you can also likely sell the transfer case for more than the tailhousing cost and be money ahead.

I can see it will take a while to get all of the Data together to make my decisions. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

Lots of great posts on this forum, Jim like

I could also probably get you a tailshaft housing cheap as well. I have some great connections.

A cheaper route is to find the tailshaft from a salvage yard on a trans that is broken or damaged elsewhere. I traded my transfer case for the tailhousing or if you want to go to the trouble you can also likely sell the transfer case for more than the tailhousing cost and be money ahead.

Thanks for posting that. The way Street & Performance makes it sound, theirs is special made or something.

I've been pooring through these threads and have seen some amazing cars. What an inspiration! But the picture isn't getting any clearer, one day I'm looking at Hemijoejr's very cool dual quad setup and I'm thinking, wow that is very sweet and it would be soo much simpler. Then I go look at Tincups car and think but I could do that too and it would be cool also. By the way Tin I love the low look too, it's what I have in mind for my Duster. One guy even said something like - if you don't get 500 hp from a 5.7 you aren't even trying. Now that's inspiring and maybe even out weighs the cool look of the dual quad Fish.

Thanks guys, please keep the insights coming.

-
Back